Fountains and water features [ need clarification with something ]

Lake fountains used to be eligible before, but it got changed. I just read the current criteria, but it doesn't mention Lake fountains as off limit under fountains and water features. Lake fountains can be considered a water feature, However due to lack of pedestrian access, it makes it ineligible. Some confirmation will be highly appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Stephyypooke-INGStephyypooke-ING Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correct. They are ineligible due to a lack of pedestrian access.

• Kroutpiick-PGOKroutpiick-PGO Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭

Something eligible may still meet a rejection criteria. In your case, you are correct, water features may be eligible, but if there is no safe pedestrian access, it meets the rejection criteria and must be rejected.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's an interesting argument to made these days for fountains that are inside a small artificial pond. The examples that spring to mind immediately are the ones in Trafalgar Square in London. I'm sure there are people who would argue that this doesn't have safe pedestrian access because you can't walk up and touch the part that actually squirts water. To me it's clearly eligible because the whole structure is the fountain, and it's an excellent candidate as a famous landmark. To me it's exactly the sort of thing that should be accepted. Someday, though, there will be a long discussion thread about something like this where the situation is more ambiguous...

And in this case it's irrelevant because it's been in Niantic's database for a very long time. I happen to know that because this is the second portal that I ever hacked, at exactly 15:37:17 PST on December 2, 2013.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

In that example of Trafalgar Square, my opinion is also that the whole pool+fountain is the PoI so it has safe access because you can reach the wall around the pool, and touch the water if you want to from the pavement. Perfectly safe for thousands of people every day! I think it's common sense really on these ones.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that lake fountains were ever eligible as they lack pedestrian access, nothing has changed regarding that.

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭

@Hosette-ING How about this one for ambiguous?

The fountain is located in an artificial pond, yet the pond was made to resemble a natural one, complete with ducks and an island. Neither the fountain nor the pond are wayspots yet.

Located in Parque Centenario, Buenos Aires, here:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fTDfCvLTa9XKZHdZ6

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WheelTrekker-ING They were certainly accepted when Niantic was doing reviews in-house.

@Lechu1730-PGO Yes. What would you do with that if there were no fountains and someone just submitted the artificial pond? I would tend to reject it.

The real hard one for me is the Bellagio fountains on the Las Vegas ****. You can stand at the rail around the edge of the artificial pond but not touch the water itself. The actual fountains are pretty far away from the rail. And yet this is a world-famous tourist attraction. If I was reviewing them today I would accept them based on that last part being an overriding factor... while acknowledging that it would be easy to rules-lawyer it into a no vote. https://goo.gl/maps/gFSNdyKntyaeXnPSA