Idea: Cooldown for reviewing with animations/patterns in the review window

LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

There are a lot of people here that keep on complaining about cooldowns in wayfarer.

Additionally, there are a lot of people that complain about wrong rejection reasons.

Both can be the reason because of "fast-clicking".

Short information about the system:

If you vote faster than 20 seconds per review too often in a short period of time, you might encounter a cooldown. This cooldown can be prevented when you wait for at least 20 seconds per review.

Fast-clicking or "speed-reviewing" normally judges nominations very quick. This can end up in wrong rejection reasons due to a lack of understanding of the actual nomination.

My idea:

Do like an animation or a pattern to prevent the system from both.

An animation:

First at all, only see the POI picture, the title and the description. Then see the satelite map and the supporting photo with the extra information. At the end see the duplicates (this can also be on a different position). With this, you can also put in a cooldown (time between the switch of the animation steps) to prevent fast-clicking.

At the end, see the full nomination and review.

A pattern

Similar to the animation, I would do a specific pattern which parts of the nomination can get seen on what time. This can get set by Niantic, I would do it the same as described above.

My idea of a sequence:

1. Picture/Title/Description (>10 seconds)
  2. Duplicates (> 5 seconds)
  3. Extra information (the most efficient part of any nomination in my eyes) (>10 seconds)
  4. Supporting picture and satelite map (> 10 seconds)
  5. (What is it?/Additional comments) (optional)

The solution to the problems I listed at the beginning:

No more fast-clicking and less wrong rejection reasons + no more cooldowns.

I think this might be an interesting topic.

The review time for trash might rise up to >35 seconds but at least, the whole nomination will get noticed.

I hope I can get as many opinions as possible here. Thans for reading!

Idea: Cooldown for reviewing with animations/patterns in the review window 11 votes

Good idea
27%
4Pro4IV-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGODarthEdger419-PGO 3 votes
Bad Idea
45%
GearGlider-INGoscarc1-INGHosette-INGGodOfAndroid-PGOLechu1730-PGO 5 votes
Good Idea but needs some changes (comment please)
27%
Ellejayess-PGOIMRAN592-PGOXeZar66-ING 3 votes

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea

So, basically, you're saying that instead of expecting me to waste time while reviewing Niantic should deliberately slow me down and force me to waste even more time? The order you described isn't even the order that I review most things, so it would be even more of a tax than what you propose. My last review ever would be the first one where I had to wait like this.

See also my discussion about why wasting reviewers' time is a really bad idea, which coincidentally is just next to this one in the forum right now.

• Lechu1730-PGOLechu1730-PGO Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea

This is actually how mobile reviewing works due to the limitations imposed by the screen and is very effective in avoiding cool downs. I only had one when I once reviewed on my PC, as I generally review on mobile.

Why do I think it's a bad idea when it actually works? Because I agree with what @Hosette-ING proposed.

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea

So rather than fixing the issues with cooldowns, it's being proposed to add to the latency by forcing people to slow down? And what happens when we get inevitable issues with the additional system? It will deter even more people from reviewing.

Rather than adding band-aid solutions to give the perception that things are fixed, let's just get Niantic to fix the problem and make the user experience enjoyable to foster more reviewing.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

Another option would be to lock the "submit" button for 20 seconds.

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed, but then it beats Niantic's own purpose in weeding out bots/"bad" reviewers. (Not that I think what's happening right now is good, just explaining why I don't think it'll happen.)

• Krabbesky-INGKrabbesky-ING Posts: 20 ✭✭

Problem with all is, thats theres so many **** nominations, that clearly Can be rated 1 star, before even looking it up. Thats mostly the reason i get time out

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea

Forcing players to slow down artificially like that isn't the best idea. If they want players to take more time, they could change the Wayfarer UI to make certain things more time. Like having people manually type in reject reasons/comments, putting the over-all star rating after the supporting info so people look through that first, or even just give a warning that says "hey you're reviewing too quick" instead of the bot check that says nothing, or immediatly slapping someone with a 4 hour cooldown. If there's an insistence on cooldowns, make it less punishing, like 10 min or 1 hour. It needs to be more like a slap on the wrist instead of an assumption that you're a bot.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea

I think this idea misses the bigger picture. Niantic's underlying goal is to encourage players to review more accurately and to catch automated/bot reviewers.

Unfortunately, they've chosen time spent on reviews as a proxy for accuracy. I think that's a poor metric for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that the current workload often prevents several trivially easy reviews to players in succession. It also overlooks the fact that reviewers work at different speeds based on experience, understanding of the rules, and the platform that they're using for reviewing. (I can review a lot faster on a large-screen computer than on a mobile device.) Also, if there are bots reviewing then adding sleep(30) to the code is a trivially easy workaround, so time limits only trip bots up briefly.

The real solution here is for Niantic to find a better way to measure reviewer accuracy. Forcing people to jump through hoops in order to meet an arbitrary time minimum doesn't do anything to increase reviewer accuracy or attention-- it just forces them to spend time twiddling their thumbs when presented with easy reviews. Adding annoying roadblocks to the review process will eventually cause more reviewer attrition, and we already have more submissions than there are reviewers to process them.

• Ellejayess-PGOEllejayess-PGO Posts: 46 ✭✭✭
    Good Idea but needs some changes (comment please)

Thanks for thinking about this, although an easier variant on your idea would just be for the "submit" button to stay greyed out until the 20 seconds are up.

This is a sensitive topic, as you can see from the responses. I will assert that the current system is broken and needs to be recalibrated because it is unworkable for experienced reviewers such as myself.

After doing 30k + reviews, nowadays whenever I try to review I get a cooldown after 5 reviews, no matter how tediously slow I attempt to go, which tanks my rating. So I have stopped reviewing altogether, because it punishes and wastes the time of people who naturally come to the correct decision quickly due to their experience level.

Ideally they should recalibrate to 10 seconds and have a grey submit button until that point.