Reactivation of Deleted Wayspot

Title of the Wayspot: Statue of Mary

City: Flushing, NY

Screenshot of the Rejection Email: N/A since I didn't receive an e-mail. I just saw that the Wayspot no longer existed.

Photos to support your claim:

Additional information: This Wayspot was recently deleted two weeks ago for an unknown reason. The statue is still there and is not the same as the other statue on the other end of the block which is Statue of Saint Kevin. I hope this Wayspot can be reactivated!

Tagged:

Comments

• KeroALU-PGOKeroALU-PGO Posts: 1

Yes! Bring it back please!

• Please help add this spot back. I did a few AR mappings at night to get item without getting the statue in view since it was cold, but I didn't think this would make a difference or lead towards the removal of this stop. I thought the AR Maps were just another way to get items so didn't follow guidelines on doing them correctly. Also the pokestop does not violate any of the guidelines for Pokemon Go stop removals or hinder any business or private residential areas. This is the only stop in this area accessible to me!!!

• Roboboss10-PGORoboboss10-PGO Posts: 1

This stop is near me and is no more. Please add again

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quick look on Streetview will show that the statue is in the grounds of St Kevins Catholic Academy, so it is an ineligble stop on K-12 grounds. Being in a K-12 location is also one of the reasons Niantic accept for removing Waypoints. Looks like a valid removal to me.

• @sogNinjaman-ING The Catholic Academy is also part of the Catholic Church of St Kevins which qualilfies as public places of worship? Are you saying all the church pokestops and gyms should be removed as well?? This is a unique statue of the Virgin Mary on the grounds of the church as well so it's to be viewed as architecture, no specific to the school portion. Most churches are also private schools so how do you discern between them? If the issue is the AR mapping quests then Niantic should ensure that not all pokestops have AR mapping quests. Pokestops for game purposes are just meant for players to use to replenish items and continue playing the game. Or Niantic should help move the stop across the street to some Nature sign like a tree or something... This stop was obviously approved at the time it was added so not sure why it is being removed now if not affecting anyone's safety.

Examples of Wayspot categories

• Historic plaques
    • Unique Art or Architecture 
    • Public Libraries 
    • Public places of worship 
    • Zoos
    • Museums and galleries
    • Community gardens
    • Historical gravestones 
    • Nature signs
    • Unusual or unique local shops

In my part of the world, most churches are not also private schools. While St Kevins' may be a church, your Waypoint is about 10m away from a big sign saying "St Kevins Catholic Academy".

This is part of the problem with Waypoints, people trying to treat the guidelines like some legal dogument and go through them with a fine toothcomb looking for get out clauses or excuses as to why their particular Waypoint does or does not meet certain criteria. I'm betting that something like a "K-12 classification" trumps "A place of Worship". Were this to appear on my review screen, I would have no hesitation is rejecting it on K-12 grounds.

Anyway, lets see what Niantic have to say.

• I see that's definitely a hardline...yes but as you are not even in this country whats the point of you going around commenting if you don't understand how other churches are structured. I'm speaking purely as an avid church goer perspective. But yes in the U.S. many churches are also schools.

I get reviews from several countries appear in my review stream. Should I ignore those from France or Ireland because I don't live in that country?

This is not a case of "not understanding how churches are structured" (again with the "pick pick pick" of the wording). We have a set of criteria guidelines provided by Niantic who have defined what is acceptable for inclusion in their games, and what is not. We can only use those to judge and evaluate a Waypoint submission. Nothing else should enter in to it. That's the basis for my comments on this, and other, Waypoints and for those I review, wherever they are located.

• Appeal Denied - Thanks for the appeal, Trainer. We have taken another look but stand by our decision to retire this Pokéstop/Gym.