Why was something Benches rejected?

I submitted some Benches known as Wavy Benches and they were apparently rejected for not being permanent or for being seasonal.

They're permanent, been there for years and will be there for many years. They're surrounded by brickwork and have plenty of pedestrian access and clearly aren't seasonal.

Should I resubmit?

Comments

• Nutronic-PGONutronic-PGO Posts: 30 ✭✭

Just to add, they're visible on Google Maps.

• johnd131313-PGOjohnd131313-PGO Posts: 52 ✭✭

Because a lot of reviewers are petty. It's really that simple.

Granted there are a LOT of nominations that are pure garbage and quite honestly people who submit a tree or residential mailbox should be banned from ever submitting again. Then there are nominations that the submitter truly feels meets the criteria but instead of being courteous, many reviewers don't give positive feedback they simply reject based on a false criteria.

Quite simply, Nianitc doesn't give a rats **** about people abusing the system in reviewing.

I understand that Benches are mass produced but these aren't like any normal bench. They're very bespoke and some bespoke Benches were accepted not a million miles away from these.

They're also not just at the side of a road or in a field, They're by the coast where there is a great view of the Isle of man etc

This is the Google Maps link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Whitehaven+CA28+9BG/@54.5439256,-3.5993702,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x486331c2a3ba499d:0x83de3acd9bb3791a

This design is a lot less common and more beneficial these days than a postbox in a wall 😄

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the bench is an artistic work, such as one that is sculpted into the shape of a wheelchair in memory of someone who was wheelchair bound, it may be eligible. But there need to be something extraordinary about the bench. But being located in a scenic spot doesn't mean the bench is eligible.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show us the whole nomination with supporting pic and info and we can make a better answer

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador

What criteria are you submitting them under?

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having looked at them through your link, Instant 1* doesnt meet criteria.

They just don't meet any criteria and are just a generic bench on a curvey wall, looks no different to the half a dozen I walk past when I take my kids to the beach.

Whats the post thing near them ? The writing on maps is all blurred out, if its a trail marker thwn submit that, but I would give up on the benches as a lost cause.

edited April 2021

Others that you would claim to be 1* have already been accepted. Thanks for your feedback though.

The post shown in these pics have been accepted.

The square one is still present as is shown on Google Maps and they don't have writing, just metal icons for bikes, mines etc so new people know where things are. Bike icon is mainly to guide cyclists around the sites I believe and keep them on the left for no accidents.

That post is one of many, has icons for the mine and for cycles etc to try and keep them on the left I think.

There is now a wooden trail marker which has already been accepted.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bench - generic concrete seating - 1* not eligible - "The object is mass-produced, generic, or not visually unique or interesting."

The post. Different kettle of fish - named trail marker - eligible. Submit that instead. You can't judge what is eligible by looking at Waypoints in game, the rules have changed over times.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

The interesting part of your reply is wouldn't it depend on the local area. If someone submitted something like that in my US suburb I'd have accepted them as unique benches, as I have literally never seen a concrete bench jutting out from a wall around me.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, Niantic give us a set of guidelines which they hope will apply the world over, though we all know the fit is not good in some places, and just ignored in others. We have plenty of concrete benches in the UK in various places, hence my comment as to a reason I would not accept it, it's "just another concrete bench".

As you can see in my sub photo, we have concrete seating areas, and more interesting "artistic" benches. This particular sub was rejected, someone else got it through before I could re-sub.

• EvilDoctorSlice-INGEvilDoctorSlice-ING Posts: 42 ✭✭

As someone trying to get back into reviewing after a long break, how does this bench fit in with the new evaluation criteria? Previously I would probably just 1* this bench, but there's a section of the new criteria that says

".. for seemingly common objects like benches or phone booths, which if out of context/rare within it’s landscape, are actually pretty cool objects to explore"

Isn't the point of this statement to try to get away from the blanket categorical rejection of nominations (i.e. bench = 1*) and instead consider this bench in relation to its environment? So 5 of these wavy benches in a town centre would be a rejection, but an isolated bench on a cliff-top should be reviewed more favourably?

How else are people interpreting this criteria?

• ztex123-PGOztex123-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

I think this could possibly fit under either social or exploration criteria as eligible... But If I were reviewing it, you would need to convince me of that... "Community Seating" doesn't sell me. Where is this bench and why is it unique?

The picture is problematic too. The bench takes up roughly 10% of the photo. Over half of the picture is the ground. It's difficult to see the bench now. Image how difficult it will be to see on a pokestop or portal image. Try taking the picture landscape and at a better angle.

• Therealgw2-INGTherealgw2-ING Posts: 22 ✭✭

Benches are massive production, unless they have some uniqueness such as painting or a story, or memorial plaque, it’s ineligible