What is your opinion on cooldowns and do they improve your experience?

How many cooldowns did you get so far?

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cooldowns are awesome! They're Niantic's way of telling me that I should stop sitting at a computer and go do something more interesting.

(Two four-day cooldowns in the space of a month.)

• 52cucumbers-ING52cucumbers-ING Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭

I've gotten one a few months ago. I wouldn't say it improved my experience but it's not like it ruined my day either.

• pkmnsearch2-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGO Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

@Euthanasio2-PGO cooldowns are bad.

luckly i learned from the internet how to avoid them.

• Aeryle88-PGOAeryle88-PGO Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

Cooldowns are bad: they disgust me of reviewing a lot.

They are excessive and occurs too often.

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've basically stopped reviewing due to cooldowns.

I used to do 100 or 200 reviews a day quite comfortably, then Niantic changed how the cooldown stuff works and now it's inevitable during every review session after about 10-20 reviews. I can't even make the minimum number of reviews for First Saturday because of the inane system.

If cooldowns could go back to how they used to be early 2020, that would be amazing. People would be more inclined to review as they could make progress, rather than jumping on to review **** and be immediately punished for trying to help.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cooldowns. I can have one appear "on demand" if I review at the speed I am capable of. The current system is not designed to cope with the very hight levels of "Instant 1* ineligible submissions" we are seeing these days. 5-10 of those in a row and "pop!" - Cooldown,

• Pokopaku-PGOPokopaku-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Newbie question, what is a cooldown?

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

It's when you're prevented from reviewing for a certain period of time because Niantic detected suspicious activity or reveiwng patters. Reviewers usually get them because they're reviewing too fast or because they rated a bunch of reviews in a row with the same ratings.

It comes in 2 flavors currently: 4 or 24 hour cooldown (you're told when you get this) and 4 Day Cooldown (you're not told, you just get a message saying there's nothing left to review for 4 days)

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to hit 10,000 reviews. I have never had a cooldown. I think my problem is that I feel compelled to provide a lot of details about why I'm rejecting submissions in the provided text boxes even though I know no one reads them.

• itamernz-INGitamernz-ING Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

My latest 2 cool downs, yesterday and today, definitely warrant a bit more feedback. My reviews must be being compared to other reviewers so I'm actually obliged to review badly if I think my fellow reviewers are also reviewing badly.

Was it the small NSW survey markers that got a 1*?

Was it the two primary schools for kids aged 5-11 that got a 1*?

Was it the site that looked like a standard car repair workshop but when I read the description and verified with a google search I discovered it had a mini museum inside?

So when I get a cool down, perhaps I could be shown the reviews I did where I'm "swimming against the tide" - that way I know exactly which rules I need to brush up on.

• pkmnsearch2-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGO Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

you are not getting cooldowns because you are evaluating in the wrong way.

you get cooldowns for being too fast :) be less fast, wait 30 seconds.

chill, jk

• Pasdell-PGOPasdell-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

I hate it. I just finished a 4 day cool down then I started reviewing with atleast one minute each, even the 1*. I got another 4 day cool down while reviewing in less than 1 hour.

• BoomBoomBL00M-PGOBoomBoomBL00M-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

It’s seriously annoying. I just got one after about 10 reviews. They were easy reviews so why should I have to waste extra time on them just so the stupid system doesn’t think I’m a bot? We’re doing this for free to help the game so Niantic should fix it so I can do more reviews. I’m about to quit because it’s so annoying.

• PawPetrolSkye-PGOPawPetrolSkye-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

My first time getting cool down. I’m newbie. But I had reviewed 500 plus nominations and people had been abusing their nominations. Personal items and even very common alter that are not worth to be nominated are filling up my reviews sections. The most craziest is a packet of sweet and a self declare expert with a worthless token he declare it antique. I cannot believe that those alter commonly found in every corner of my neighboring country can be nominated and even approved. These constantly appear in my reviews until my rejection is the same reason as they are trying their luck to get a gym or Pokestop at their house

• Eltris01-PGOEltris01-PGO Posts: 2

I usually get cooldowns when reviewing photos for an already accepted nomination, but that's probably because it's easy to see what is or isn't acceptable so the reviews are generally faster.

• Therealgw2-INGTherealgw2-ING Posts: 22 ✭✭

It’s totally redundant, for experienced reviewers. I rate a nomination (most of them) in like 10-20 seconds (parks, playgrounds, statues, churches).. but then I just wait for over a minute just to click submit. Really annoying.

• PhoenixOmicron-PGOPhoenixOmicron-PGO Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

It was impossible for me get get some waypoints accepted like trailmarkers before cooldowns, mainly because so many of them resemble traffic or street signs. I believe the idea is to try and prevent people from speeding through a review without reading the supplemental information. If reviews were allowed to go at any speed it would be a giant rejection machine much worse than the current incarnation because reviewers would look at the photo, look at the title, and ignore everything else. Is it Niantics greatest attempt at introducing integrity to the system? Definitely not, but it is an attempt.

• Raachermannl-INGRaachermannl-ING Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Back in OPR days I got sometimes the captchas, but never any cooldown, although they already existed back then. Now in wayfarer I nearly never get a cooldown, but if I get one, than only the 4h cooldown.

Observing the discussions from our social media platform, where this is also again and again a topic, I see, that lots of the people, who get the long cooldowns are people, who usually only use 1* and 5* ..... Then there is often the advice to spend at least 20sec for evry candidate - that seems to help those people a bit to not get the cooldowns, but it doesnt solve the problem completly for them.

Looking at my own reviewing behaviour: I never looked at the time, that I spent on fast reviews. I guess I'm in a lot of reviews faster than 20sec. So I guess being nethertheless thourough in other reviews (for example doing google searches, if needed and so on) compensates the lots of fast reviews. So maybe the average time spent during reviews is important, and not to spend 20+ sec in evry single review, dunno. Maybe Niantic was creative and tracks how often people look at candidate pictures in full size to check, whether the people are reviewing thoroughly - there are many possibilities. But I guess the big difference, that I do, is the following: I use the 2*, 3* and 4* very often. Back in OPR there have been guidelines for specific candidates and then recommendations how to vote them. A specific star recommendation and some if-statements and exceptions and so on were given there. So in cases, where these recommendations don't contradict the new criteria wording, I vote in the oldschool OPR way until today. And since I nearly never see any cooldowns I guess I'm reviewing the way Niantic wants me to ....

The only thing to consider is, that if you want to accept a candidate all the sub categories should be at least 3* ..... way around, if a candidate has a hitch somewhere/somehow, then I try to point that out in the subcategories, although I'm voting a 4* in the overall category. So an example from this forum: a historical lighthouse on a place, that can only be safely accessed, if the tides are low. For me that's a 4* in the overall category and a 2* in pedestrian access subcategory. (I'm aware, that Niantic clarified, that this example should be rejected for not having safe pedestrian access, but that's how I would vote on this example, if I wouldn't know the clarifications about that example)

So in the end my interpretation of the different cooldowns is the following:

The short cooldowns are caused by fast reviewing.

The long cooldowns for repeated patterns during reviewing, for example 5*ing evry subcategory, or only 1*-rejecting instead of sometimes using 2*-rejections.

So in the end the combination of lots of given guidelines back in OPR times and the existence of the cooldowns together had an educating and improving function. Now in wayfarer the cooldowns are useless. The people don't get a hint, what they are doing wrong, and they don't have something to compare how they think about specific candidates. That was the big benefit of the guidelines back then - they showed Niantics reasoning for specific examples. Lots of them are transferable to other candidates. Now you only have the vague new criteria wording, your own interpretation of it and that's it. The oly way to find clarifications for specific types of candidates is this forum, and only a fraction of reviewers is aware, that this forum exists ....

• PhoenixOmicron-PGOPhoenixOmicron-PGO Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

I have only experienced them a handful of times. I'm sure they weren't as rampant as now if they did exist earlier. I hear a lot of complaining about them which signals to me something changed. I never got any earlier in my time reviewing so I just assumed they didn't exist.

• Stephyypooke-INGStephyypooke-ING Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t get cool downs too often but they don’t hurt my overall Wayfarer experience. I do tend to go too fast sometimes so if I get a 4 hour, I just do something else. I got the 4 day one recently though and it didn’t bother me until I realized I would still be locked out during Ingress First Saturday and wouldn’t be able to participate in the reviewing contest the group I join puts on.

• DerWelfe2205-PGODerWelfe2205-PGO Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a lot of people who vary the rating they give in order to avoid cooldowns so I'd argue that cooldowns are a sign you are reviewing correctly.

If there are 10 1* nominations in a row I rate them accordingly and receive a cooldown and I'm not going to start giving 2* just to avoid it.