Odd reasons being given for rejection

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mmrGcgqNsHICpSDNd3-uV7zv8uMbPZa4P29arLCp4XQg93ren_XKgiC7gbYJUjNBKeXRCbARJ9wa6HjyY5ygXHHhOIGkIP5qBEVuz8amRg

This was rejected as "Photo of the nomination appears to be of a live animal instead of a valid object, The real-world location of the nomination appears to be on private residential property or farm."

What on earth is going on with some reviews ? Who is checking them ?

Comments

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some reviewers choose the incorrect rejection reason.

However as the picture is of a McDonald's I can't say im surprised it was rejected.

Why would you submit that ? Unless you've got a really truly impressive social aspect to that submission hidden in the description or support statement, its a 1* candidate

• Vectaire9-PGOVectaire9-PGO Posts: 47 ✭✭

A direct quote:-

A great place to be social with others

A favorite gathering place for friends or strangers alike, where you can share a drink or meal, be entertained, or watch public life happen. Or something that draws us together to share an experience in a locally and culturally relevant way.

Examples of Wayspot categories

• Popular restaurants

Uh huh, cant believe I'm going to have to explain this but the golden arches runs straight into it the rejection criteria of being a generic business.

Seriously, unless you have anything else to add to substantially improve the nomination it is still a 1* candidate.

Description

They sell burgers and drinks. Nice place to hang out with friends. Safe. Well illuminated. Clean toilets. Free wifi. Outside picnic tables.

Supplemental Information

Safe acces on foot. Nice spot for a coffee or a snack. Picnic tables add to the hangout ambiance.

"instead of submitting this ever again..."

Really ? I was asking for help and advice, not a rude comment. You should learn some manners Ing. Manners cost nothing.

The advice was never submit it again.

You may not like the advice However its valid, unlike your 1* submission.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people give odd rejection reasons. My experience with having seen complaints like this before is that this happens more often when reviewers are annoyed or offended by the submission, or they're rolling their eyes. I suspect that's what happened here.

A chain restaurant is generally an automatic no, though there are rare cases when it could qualify as NianticCasey outlined recently. Specifically, they can be considered if it's a small town and that restaurant is the local hangout. The example he provided was a very small town where Starbucks was the only coffee shop and thus it's where everyone went to socialize.

I'm looking at a map of Dundalk right now and it doesn't seem to fit the criteria. I see over a dozen coffee shops and a large number of restaurants. Thus, I think this is an easy 1* candidate for being a generic business.

(I hope you consider this a helpful answer rather than a rude one.)

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to also tell you this, but it's a chain restaurant and in some countries it has partnership with Niantic and only because of that there are some POIs of McDonald in game - they're sponsored POIs. If you don't have sposnored POIs like that in your country, then McDonald isn't really nice nomination as they can pay for partnership and POIs in game (and they do in some countries).

I understand that you got some weird rejection reasons too, but did you also get "Nomination does not met acceptance criteria" rejection? It's hard to say if you mentioned all rejections you got. I agree that some of your rejections are inaccurate, but chain restaurants like that aren't really acctepted often.

Your quote about popular restaurants is rather meant for local non-chain restaurants that might be important part of your local community or are really popular local hotspot. I can see at least two places like that near this McDonald that have much better chance of being accepted (as they looks like nice local restaurants), maybe try nominating them? This Windsor Bar and Restaurants looks quite interesting, if I see correctly, it was estabilished in 1883 - if it'd true, that is amazing local hotspot to nominate, I'm sure there is really many nice things to mention about it to get it accepted (if it's not a POI now).

And just near McDonald I can see quite nice informational board with map and informations for tourist, this might be much better POI to nominate too :) It looks like you have many nice things to nominate in close area, so I suggest try nominate them first, as your nomination isn't that good choice. Good luck with getting new POIs in your area :)

• David75Chu-PGODavid75Chu-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭

I think that @Theisman-ING 's advice is spot on and concise. When I first saw the image on this thread, I thought somebody was having a small joke. However, it seems that somebody thought this was a legitimate nomination and so I shall answer accordingly.

The argument for is:

Examples of Wayspot categories

• Popular restaurants

Indeed Mcdonald's is popular. So on that basis alone it fits the eligibility criteria.

However, we also need to consider the rejection criteria as well. A relatively recent Niantic post even said it helps to have both parts of the documentation open on separate tabs for easy reference whilst reviewing.

In the rejection criteria it states:

Nominations and edit submissions may be entirely rejected if it meets at least one of the following rejection criteria:

Does not meet eligibility criteria

Ineligible location, place, or object

• A generic business, chain, or franchise that is not locally unique

For me it fails here for being a generic franchise, which gives at least one rejection criteria, thus making it possible to be "entirely rejected". So whilst this clear cut rejection criteria exists, my recommendation would to be refrain from submitting McDonald's again and look for an alternative POI altogether, @Maxyme99-PGO has made some initial alternative suggestions.

• pkmnsearch2-PGOpkmnsearch2-PGO Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

@Vectaire9-PGO Follow the acceptance criteria page... if it is an yes to all of that then go the Rejection criteria, if there is at least on rejection reason then it is not eligibile.

mac donalds sure it fullfills all the acceptance criteria but fullfills ONE rejection criteria which is "chain-business".

So, not eligible.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chain restaurants would fall under generic business. You will 99.99% of the time ever submitting this will never get it accepted. I would not even bother trying to submit again

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador
    edited April 2021

This is not an eligible submission.

Also, I highly doubt the toilets are clean. Next you're going to tell me that the ice cream machine works.

Thank you. A very helpful and detailed explaination. Now I understand and can improve my performance.

Maybe someone can shed light on this odd rejection...How is this possibly seasonal ? What checks are placed on reviewers making rubbish and random decisions ?

Nomination does not appear to be permanent or appears to be a seasonal display that is only put up during certain times of the year.

Knockbridge civic award "Louth looking good"

NOT ACCEPTED

Description

Funded by the county leadership. Looking Good awards for 2013, 2016, 2019

Supplemental Information

Award celebrating this beautiful park area.

For apparently official plaques they look badly put up, different hights, angles etc. From your picture they look just like temporary hung plaques, not ones permanently fixed in place, hence the temporary / seasonal rejection.

Your main picture doesn't help, to much wall and not enough of the POI plus the plaques are illegible so no one can read the details to confirm what you say.

Take the picture again, landscape not portrait, closer so the POI is the majortiy of the photo, and so reviewers can read the details and see the fixtures showing them as permanent

• johnd131313-PGOjohnd131313-PGO Posts: 52 ✭✭

I's vote this as a 1* also, but at least I'd use the correct reason when submitting...instead of being an a$$

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also is it on streetview? I can't tell, but from the angle of the support photo it looks like it might not be. If it isn't, using the google streetview app to upload a photosphere showing it's location would help a ton.

• Ruby59800-PGORuby59800-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Hi Sorry first for my poor English I’m from France, my pokestop has been rejected, I thought public Park was allowed, little disappointed, do you have any advice I don’t really understand ? Maybe it’s too dark or some people think it’s private park ? Thanks for your advice !

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are nominating a park, you need some sort of sign like a park name sign to "anchor" the Waypoint. Submitting a picture of some trees and a path is not sufficient for a nomination to be accepted.

• Eltris01-PGOEltris01-PGO Posts: 2

I've had a few nominations rejected.

Nomination: Boat ramp (could see a sign for it in the picture and is a man-made structure out of concrete)

Reason: local hangout for families and only public boat ramp

Rejection: Natural feature

Yes, there is a lot of nature in the picture, but honestly you're not going to not have nature in a boat ramp picture.

Nomination: Cricket oval (can see clear oval outline and cricket pitch in the middle)

Reason: local cricket oval

Rejection: Natural feature, Low quality photo

Now the reviewing side of me can rationalize that yes the oval probably needs a sign to be more easily identifiable, but the player side of me is annoyed as the oval doesn't have a sign as local council can't be bothered to put one up (yes I asked)

Any advice on these two? Sorry I don't have photos of them to put up or the exact descriptions I used (they are probably in my inbox somewhere). The boat ramp one I've tried 3 times with different pictures of the ramp itself and just the sign. The oval twice now.

A boat ramp is marginal at best, saying its a hangout for families is stretching the guidelines on hyperspots / hangouts to breaking point and beyond.

Personally just going on your brief description I can't see it meeting criteria at all or being improved.

The cricket oval is a good POI, but without a sign or something its just going to be a patch of grass, theres nothing tangible to fix the Wayspot too. Is there anything thats physical and permanent thats there that can work as a proxy for the Oval?

On a side note, if you have access ti the Wayfarer review site you can see all of your past nominations there with all the pictures descriptions etc that you used during your submission

• Therealgw2-INGTherealgw2-ING Posts: 22 ✭✭

Nothing new.. always happened to me