Was this ever circled back around to?

2»

Comments

• dd1989-INGdd1989-ING Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

Regarding Graves and so on. I have submitted numerous graves in the past with reasonable success of acceptance.

I have usually been pretty careful about the ones I submit, always someone of local or national significance, such as a Nobel Prize Winner, or most recently a famous musician who composed the pieces of Queen Victoria's Coronation when he was the head Pianist at Westminster Abbey.

I like to select sites that would be of genuine interest to someone doing research in to historical people around the area.

I think submitters need to be sensitive to the area around them almost as much as the grave its self. I tend to chose sites that are 20+ miles from any major town or city, places out in the countryside where generally there is simply no one around. It would be obvious not to approach a poi if there were other people visiting the grave as they would likely be there for grievance reasons.

The times a grave has seemed a bit too new or just not significant enough, it has been declined, so I would say on the whole, the review system is working fine.

However I do not think a grave should ever be a POI simply because it looks nice.

The example I have attached is one I absolutely believe should be a POI. The Fraser family are of significant importance in the history of Scotland's Barony and Lineage.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

I wish that everyone could be more open to ideas to make the platform better. For me, a celebrity or someone famous lived a public life while they were alive. Why can’t their life be public as well after they have died? Especially if they are buried in a public cemetery. Most celebrities want to be mourned after ☠️ by everyone. There are cemeteries in the US where the majority of people buried in a cemetery are celebrities. Some of these cemeteries are open 365 days a year so I think criteria could be worded better. These cemeteries therefore aren’t private or even sensitive at all. They’re more of a tourist attraction than anything else & are mainly walkable. One local to me is used as a park. It has trails & historic signs strategically placed through it as well that teach & explain local history that happened in the community. If a grave is unwanted as a POI they can be appealed to be removed. It is an easy process for those that have the right to do so. I’ve witnessed a couple of locations that were new when Pokemon Go was first released that got removed because the owner of a public playground didn’t want a POI on their property. We also had a church get removed for the same reason. If an unwanted POI is submitted & accepted it can easily be removed by someone with authority. It all depends on the place that the grave is located for me & the rules that are set forth.

Regardless I would just like to

see a more clarified classification. All I care about is helping make the platform better. If this idea won’t help, that’s okay as well. But, I think it could

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Have you had the chance to review this and let us know what implications it should have on how we review Wayspots, and if your comment is in conflict with the published guidelines?

Thanks!

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Giffard even responded to @NianticCasey-ING's post correcting it, saying gravestone that are artistic/visually unique aren't eligible on their own. (in addition to Roli's above comment)