New PoGo-specific wayspots?

Comments

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

The irony of Niantic not understanding their own incoherent guidelines and then us asking for them to be removed is the only positive I can see in this mess.

• ZeldaVV-PGOZeldaVV-PGO Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Not obsolete (well, maybewayfarer). People would just figure out where the data is coming from and find a way to submit data thro there.

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cc: Everyone at Niantic

https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/criteria#rejection

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 hour? You're generous. I recently got a 24-hour cooldown for clicking the "skip" option!

• MrNateJo-INGMrNateJo-ING Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

I imagine the conversation went something like this.

Manager: we need to create more wayspots in areas where there are none to increase gameplay. Does anyone have any ideas?

Employee: we could buy data from another company and use that as source.

Manager: good idea, let's do that.

Employee: I have the list, should we load them into wayfarer for the community to review

Manager: no we don't need to do that. No one plays in the areas so they won't notice.

• Mormegil71-INGMormegil71-ING Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

I, as a Wayfarer (and OPR before that) just wonder what the h*ll we’ve been doing these years. They had a system that worked somewhat ok. Then they changed it so we got draconian punishments for reviewing wrongly, a hole that took ages to crawl up from. Then, they shrunk our bonus location areas to 1/4th of what they were, so we couldn’t help low density areas, meanwhile ignoring pleas for us to be able to change them more often. And now they are themselves creating stops that go against their own criteria??

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any idea how many "ineligible Waypoints" were uploaded by this "process"?

Is there any way of easily finding them and giving them a review or reporting them, or are they just going to be left floating in game.

Honestly, if Niantic just removed the bonus location restrictions and ran an event with sensible "rewards" then I am sure a lot of people would participate.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,560 Ambassador

If these invalid stops and gyms appear only in Pokemon Go, then no, I can't help get them removed because I can't get information from Intel. Only those that can see the actual objects can get them removed, and obviously they would need to have access to these forums to find the proper form, and would need to do a lot of manual input to remove an object that would be beneficial to them if it remained.

I won't be surprised if Niantic are gonna act as if the report form is the ultimate solution to this situation... but I'd still be extremely disappointed.

I'm hoping that they'll see how few reports (if any, really) they're getting and realize that they need to do better.

Still think it's beyond shameful that this happened in the first place.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

I'm hoping that they'll see how few reports (if any, really) they're getting and realize that they need to do better.

"Nobody is reporting things invalid, they must all have been valid!"

I'm wondering about one of the comments - did a Brothel really make it in game?

It's from LukeAllStars' comment in the first page of this thread. They shared a screenshot of a new gym called "Burdel Mateusza". "Burdel" is the Polish word for brothel.

• xarxar-INGxarxar-ING Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

So if you come across one of these Foursquare PoIs in Wayfarer, how to approach the situation now? If someone submits a picture on a kindergarten PoI, do you just say yes this is a perfectly fine picture of the kindergarten, nothing to see here? What about a duplicate for a kindergarten, is it just a duplicate of a great PoI or rejection?

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,560 Ambassador

The followup note in the News thread is interesting: lots of cleanup, hundreds of invalid spots removed, generic photos added, and lots of happy Pokémon Go players - and they plan to extend the same courtesy to Ingress because who knew that Ingress players wanted to be able to play, too? 😂

No wonder we have not seen much Niantic presence on this forum of late. They’ve obviously been scrambling!

What just baffles me is that the comment from Niantic about their progress resolving their "mistake" has, at the time of me reading it, attracted 27 "Dislikes"! Who the heck "Dislikes" a positive progress report?

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly! I was thinking the same thing & started to type almost identically what you did. I refreshed the page to see your comment. Great minds think alike

• danger0uss-PGOdanger0uss-PGO Posts: 16 ✭✭

Please remove those pokestops without pictures. In my country (Turkey) maybe million pokestops are created by this way. Those are normal apartments, barbers, gas stations, markets, cafes, k-12 schools, police stations and many more... What is wrong with Niantic? They completely ruined wayfarer system. I am trying to submit and approved simple park but out of nowhere all private residents became pokestops. All my efforts and others effort are worthless? Why would I submit new pokestop or use wayfarer anymore? In my country rural areas have way way more pokestops than big cities. Please take an action before it is too late.

edited May 2021

I feel you. Turkey is normally way out of my review radius, but ever since Niantic added these wayspots I've been getting a few of them as photo reviews. Among them were a hill sl0pe (not sure why this is censored?), a plastic packaging factory, and a neighborhood (not even a sign for the neighborhood, the submitted photos just showed a generic street). I don't know what it looks like in other countries, but from the very little I've seen in Turkey, it seems rough.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

In addition to these removals, we have performed a backend photo update that has added a generic image to any newly added Wayspot that didn’t have a photo.

@NianticCasey-ING, perhaps the same thing could be done with Ingress Portals that were originally seeded over? As somebody who travels, nominates, and reviews a lot to rural communities across the US Midwest, these often add unnecessary compilations for PoGO Trainers for not knowing there may be a POI nearby or when a post office is misplaced and there is a split reviewer conclusion between duplicate & approve, causing a soft overall rejection.