Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Third party text

What's the ruling on third party text in descriptions?

I would assume that it would be the same as third party photos but I have noticed a few submissions be approved that have third party text, and in some of the Facebook groups dedicated to Wayfarer, there are some reviewers and submitters that see no issue with third party text being used for a description.

Best Answers

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Instead of copying from Wikipedia. People should be using the support information with a link to the site. This is allowed by Nianticcasey and was updated in the January 2020 update. I suggest maybe reading some of the new updates for information and learning what has changed.

Supporting descriptions

Utilize the supporting description to add additional information that may be useful to the reviewers. Avoid directing, pleading or begging reviewers to vote in a specific way as this is considered abuse of the Wayfarer system and could result in your account suspension.

URLs

URLs can be used in the supporting information to add additional details to your nomination. Any Wayspot descriptions that include URLs should be rejected. You should use URLs only if the existing information may not be sufficient for the reviewer. For example, you may not need to include a URL for a park candidate however, a URL may be helpful to provide local context if the information needed is not easily accessible when searching. Remember that not all reviewers may choose to open the URL so make sure the important information is summarized in the description. 

Answers

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past, I would include a portion of the text from a historic marker or educational signboard as the nomination's description. But with the whole copyright issue, I'm now having to come up with a completely separate description that I feel is far less informative.

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheFarix-ING , was there an issue with the text on markers or signboards being used then ?

Ive always taken some of the details off of say a plaque to include in the description and saying its come from the plaque, are we not meant to now then ?

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Theisman-ING There wasn't a problem in the past, but that doesn't mean that those text didn't fall under copyright.

• Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

I would accept anything that's in the photo, but not stuff clearly copied from Wikipedia or a marketing site.

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Instead of copying from Wikipedia. People should be using the support information with a link to the site. This is allowed by Nianticcasey and was updated in the January 2020 update. I suggest maybe reading some of the new updates for information and learning what has changed.

Supporting descriptions

Utilize the supporting description to add additional information that may be useful to the reviewers. Avoid directing, pleading or begging reviewers to vote in a specific way as this is considered abuse of the Wayfarer system and could result in your account suspension.

URLs

URLs can be used in the supporting information to add additional details to your nomination. Any Wayspot descriptions that include URLs should be rejected. You should use URLs only if the existing information may not be sufficient for the reviewer. For example, you may not need to include a URL for a park candidate however, a URL may be helpful to provide local context if the information needed is not easily accessible when searching. Remember that not all reviewers may choose to open the URL so make sure the important information is summarized in the description.