Why was this one rejected?

I upgraded and submitted a photosphere. Reasons given were "doesn't meet criteria" and "explicit activity". This was an upgraded nomination and these are tough for me to submit because cell signal is super weak along this trail. Often I can't get them to upload at all, though there is enough signal to play the game.

These following examples are in the showcase of great local submitted stops right now.

I truly fail to see why this was rejected in comparison to the models shared. Thanks for any insight in this super frustrating process!

Comments

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

What criteria does your submission meet? Honestly, I would give this a 1* review for not meeting any. Don't base submissions on whats inthe game already.

• Catijia-PGOCatijia-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭

By searching footbridges in this forum, they are clearly acceptable POI based on AMA guidelines. Especially when a bridge is a named trail, which this is. Also, the examples I also added are currently in the Wayfarer spotlight as exemplary POI submissions. I assume those are not randomly placed in the spotlight, but perhaps I am incorrect.

• Testandoojogo-INGTestandoojogo-ING Posts: 18 ✭✭

It was rejected because each reviewer has their own definition of what is and is not valid. Niantic could be more specific regarding this type of proposal, certainly some evaluator could also have classified it as a "natural element".

• Stephyypooke-INGStephyypooke-ING Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was more than likely rejected because you upgraded it.

It is definitely not a picturesque example of a bridge as it seems to be just flat ground underneath it. I would think the planks were out there to cover something though. Upgrading it sent it out to the masses of pickier people.

The showcase is randomly chosen from recent approvals in the featured area. We have seen abusive approvals and nominations with game references in the text in showcases.

From your showcase, it looks like your local community is accepting of these as bridges, let it go through the system without being upgraded. If you’re in an area where that takes multiple months, I would suggest letting it stay in local voting for a month or two before upgrading.

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I would have wholeheartedly approved your submission. I believe that it clearly meets eligibility criteria, as it is located at a specific, visually unique place along a trail that encourages exercise and exploration. I am guessing that most rural reviewers would feel the same. That being said, it's obvious that some reviewers think bridges have to be pretty, or large, or have some kind of historic plaque to be eligible.

Giving your nomination some time to move through local voting, as @Stephyypooke-ING suggested, may certainly help. I also recommend trying to submit when there is as much water as possible visible under the bridge. I've found this to be very effective in helping to convince those who don't have the imagination or experience to realize how significant these types of footbridges can be to springtime explorers.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which ama would you be referring to? Any ama previous to the latest one released is no longer the official ruling since the criteria update. And the newest/most recent one does not mention footbridges to my knowledge

• Misch60-PGOMisch60-PGO Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I think a foot bridge in general could qualify, the problem is that these foot bridges are visually not interesting at all. Some of them barely are a bridge, but rather wooden planks. I don't think these would get through. But who knows, you could get lucky if you don't upgrade them

• Oakes1923-PGOOakes1923-PGO Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭

Not saying your wrong here but I do find it ironic that when it suits the argument folks bring up that the old AMA's are overridden by current guidelines but when it doesn't the old AMA's are cited, chapter and verse, from old google doc websites. Not saying you're doing that @TheFarix-PGO, just another example of where if Niantic was clearer in their current guidance and resources we wouldn't have these issues.

@Catijia-PGO Its obvious from the picture that this is certainly more then just a random group of boards laid down in a trail to get over a muddy spot. I'm counting over 40 boards cut to length with a supporting structure underneath, and a well defined path leading to and from. I've had others go through with less and you've demonstrated that with the examples that Niantic is offering to the entire community as exemplary submissions.

As you can tell from some of the responses there are some reviewers who will question anything that isn't a pristine submission. I think in this case you simply ran into a group of agreement fishers that doomed your submission. By most accounts it takes far less 1*rejections then it does 5* approvals to get a submission through, like 1/4 or less to get a submission the boot.

This is similar to this recent post and my suggestions are exactly the same. Rework your photo a little, maybe spice up the description but ultimately you just got unlucky with whom reviewed it. Try again. It will go through.

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/18236/i-honestly-don-t-know-anymore#latest

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its not that it suits the argument. Its what niantic has stated. That the new criteria is a complete overhaul and passed ama’s are no longer the source of truth at this point. The only thing that has stayed the same which they have also mentioned is definitions of certain things like private residential property, pedestrian access etc

kind of missed the point J..... when its convenient folks bring it up, when its not its ignored. Commenting on the consistent inconsistency.

• EvilDoctorSlice-INGEvilDoctorSlice-ING Posts: 42 ✭✭

Could someone please explain why these bridges would be considered eligible?

Is the bridge itself being evaluated as the POI? Or are you submitting the trail and trying to use to bridge as a proxy, like submitting a trail marker.

My understanding of the November AMA clarification is that hiking/biking trails are eligible, however "since trails are long and linear, you'd want to direct players to a safe location somewhere along that trail that's easy to find and safe to access. This would apply to trail markers, survey markers, trail signs, etc. "

Are you using the "etc" to mean "any other fixed location you might encounter along the trail", such a bridges, kissing gates or stiles?

Trails are great places to exercise and explore. POI need an anchor. These are generally natural markers for hikers/pedestrians to use as they track their progress on a trail. They are man made and in my area these are generally put up by local scout troops.

Example:

Not really sure where the confusion lies.

• Stephyypooke-INGStephyypooke-ING Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spy a finger!

I think the “confusion” lies in that the op’s bridge doesn’t appear to have any separation from the ground. As I said in my original comment, I would think the wood was put there for a reason, maybe that area pools water when it rains.

I usually vote favorably on these but I understand other points of view.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in nearby Cary and think I would have approved your nomination if I had seen it based on what you said in the original post and screenshots provided. The "explicit activity" seems to be a cut and paste email reason sent for reviewers trying to say they didn't think the location was accurate. When this happens to me, usually someone has placed an inaccurate photosphere that is showing to reviewers. Check Google Maps, and send a remove request if this is the case.

I looked up Demonstration Trail and checked the area that came up in a hiking website for footbridges but did not see any on satellite view. It doesn't help your case that it isn't marked on Google Maps. And the only photosphere (if I am in the right area) is of a bench.

I don't think your photosphere has gone live. You could try to resubmit it. Don't upgrade the nomination until the photosphere goes live. You can tell what the reviewers will see in your nomination entry between your nomination and supporting photos.