Looking for feedback

I think this should meet the criteria, but maybe I need a recalibration.

rejection reasons:

• Nomination appears to be a natural feature (waterfall, mountain, lake, etc.) that is not connected to a man-made object
  • Photo appears to include a recognizable face
  • The real-world location of the nomination appears to be on private residential property or farm.

Portal Name:

Metal Lotus

Portal photo:

Description:

A piece of public art added in the renovation of Artery Plaza

Approximate location:

38.98119563849471, -77.09303306465192

Supplemental Information:

submitting under the criteria for cool piece of art. Google maps street view from the pre-renovation, satellite view is during the renovation, there is a photo sphere north of the sub in plaza post renovation with the public art visible.

My own note for improvement:

• Align supporting information with new verbiage from criteria refresh, this sub was in voting prior to the November refresh.
  • I have since tracked down the artist and work's name/year. I was going to make the portal name the name of the work and credit the artist in the description.
  • I'd argue that those faces aren't recognizable but I can go out there early morning and snap a photo before the car and foot traffic are high.
  • Google has since updated the satellite view so I can tweak the location.

Areas where I think I need some help:

• Conveying that this is not a natural feature
  • Proving this isn't on single-family residential property

I'm open to other notes as well.

Comments

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

For your supporting picture you can barely see the artwork tbh. Maybe if theres a link to the artist and description you can add that to the supporting info

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't worry for "private property" rejection too much, as on location visible on map it clearly looks like it's in public place (the closest building looks either like office or multi-family house). But maybe doing main photo from different angle, so this cafe that look a bit like single family house wouldn't be visible on photo just after your art nomination would help a bit - but it's just in case of picky reviewers ;)

I think the most problem will be with giving proof it's not just a normal tree. It really looks like normal tree, so convicing it's an instalation might be a bit hard here. Is there any plaque near it that explain what it is? Maybe doing one of photo in a way that will show also this plaque in a way it can be read on zoom in could help. If there isn't any, adding some website about this art in support text might help (if there is any). But it might still be really hard thing to convice reviewers.

I also wanted to mention that photosphere where tree is visible is made a bit far away from location of nomination, so it's really small chance that reviewers get photosphere rather than streetview from street closest to nomination (where it's still looks like construction site and construction banners hide everything from this area. Maybe putting link to this photosphere in support text would be helpfull too (or making new photosphere closer to your nomination :) ).

As you didn't post your nomination's text, it's hard to give you any advice for that, but as you mentioned, if you found some more information about name of artist and some more information about this art, then adding it in description is definetly good idea :)

It still might be hard to convice reviewers it's not just a tree, but I think it can be done :) Good luck with nominating it again, I hope it will be accepted :)

• Ribcage-INGRibcage-ING Posts: 45 ✭✭

The support photo was placed where it was to help compensate for the outdated satellite data, since that marker gave the street address. With the now updated satellite data I can be a little more strategic with the support photo. I wish I could provide a link for the artist, she was like a ghost. I ended up contacting the property manger that gave me the artist name and had to use the way back machine on her now dead site to get "Alma Selimovic - The Event (600 steel Cicadas on the wall and steel Magnolia with 50 flowers. 7200 Bethesda, MD (Installation date, January 2020)". I appreciate the feedback @Jtronmoore-PGO.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you have identified most of your issues, but see if you can take the nomination photo from an angle with less clutter in the background - I don't know if you can. I thought it was a real tree at first glance on the photo - it looks like my neighbor's star magnolia. If you can get a nomination photo from those stairs on the right side of the nomination photo you posted, then maybe it will be more obvious it isn't a plant since it would be coming out of the cement. I realize the cicadas are part of the art, but they aren't popping out at me in the photo, just the tree.

Agree not to even address the private property issue. Check of the coordinates shows this clearly isn't private property. Either was a misclick by a reviewer, or they thought the nom photo was a tree in someone's front yard.

I also think the "face" was just an "I don't like this photo" excuse, so don't worry too much about people - but avoid them if you can.

Please resubmit - I love this piece of art for a wayspot!

Oh, if you do as you mentioned and make the title of the art the title of the wayspot, any decent reviewer can simply click the title for a quick google search. If you have a link that shows the installation of this art as part of the renovation, or a link to the property site that features this art or something else that verifies the work is there, you can put that link in the supporting information.