generic bench

Are there any official answers or guidelines that general benches are not subject to approval?

I've seen a lot of users saying they reject it because it's mass-produced, but I wonder if there's an official answer like this.

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the acceptance criteria: Which criteria does a generic bench meet? if the answer is none, then it shouldn't be approved.

And in the rejection criteria states in the first line: "The object is mass-produced, generic, or not visually unique or interesting"

So without anything additional, a generic bench is not a valid nomination.

• HINABITAMEU-INGHINABITAMEU-ING Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

I didn't mean to allow generic benches. Please don't get me wrong.

I'm just wondering if there's a standard where the generic bench is clearly stated.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why should they specifically state anything about "generic benches" if they already have the guidance in the acceptance and rejection criteria?

I would expect specific instructions if they shouldn't follow the general criteria, otherwise, apply it.

• HINABITAMEU-INGHINABITAMEU-ING Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Sometimes it's easier for some users(Most of them are wayfares users who don't) to understand that it's easier to give a formal answer than to talk about general guidelines.

Talking about general standards prolongs the conversation, but if there is an official answer, the conversation ends quickly if you present it.

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

For those who have been reviewing for a while, remind them of the parking bollard example. They’re not interesting because they’re not visually unique. Benches are in fact ubiquitous, and accepting them would be like accepting every parking meter or fire hydrant or parking bollard.

That isn’t what anybody considers to be interesting.

• SlicedPeas-INGSlicedPeas-ING Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

Niantic is clearly trying not to issue blanket yes/no on things. There are benches that could be poi. A stone bench built by the WPA? That might be interesting, particularly if it also is visually appealing. An artistically hand carved wooden bench in a beautiful setting? Maybe that should be a poi. But if Niantic says "no benches" many reviewers would refuse to look past the classification and blanket reject such things.

Unfortunately many submitters don't care about nuance, and don't actually care about what a poi is attached to, they just want more poi.