Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Amount of information needed on a historical sign?

In my county there are two different association that focus on the history of the rural community. They put up little brass plauqes with information about the location - name, who lived there, when it was built/destroyedhistorical ancedots, occupation of the inhabitants etc. They mark everything from former residential spots to chapels and old iron furnaces. The first signs where put up around 1965 and the newest last summer, meaning that this has been an ongoing project for over 50 years by doing so called "Village Walks" when the association creates an event, gathering interested people and taking them around to existing signs as well as placing new signs, stopping at each one to tell the places history. They also make information folders for each one, avilable for purchase both at the event and after it.

Now the question has risen in the local community that these signs are lacking in information and therefor are unsuitable as historical information POIS. I'd say a standard sign is about 8x6 inches, with location name, date of creation/destruction, who lived there and when and what kind of building used to stand on the location with a lot more information being avilable from the associations to use when nominating the POI.

Is there a lower limit to how much information a place needs to have on the actual sign itself? I'm kinda comparing this to for exampel a walking trail sign saying "Silver mines ----->" and being nominated with supporting information about the walking trail / destination without having any additional information on the sign itself.

Ty in advance!

Best Answer

• Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I'd say a standard sign is about 8x6 inches, with location name, date of creation/destruction, who lived there and when and what kind of building used to stand on the location with a lot more information being avilable from the associations to use when nominating the POI.

Those sort of signs are constantly POIs in most countries around the world. Whoever is telling you there isn't enough information on the sign is wrong.

Answers