Lack of reviewers in Nigeria

Nigeria has the largest population in Africa and is as well becoming the tech capital of Africa. Nigeria's median age is also just around 18 years which in my opinion is a prime, untapped market for Pokemon Go and other Niantic games. Sadly, Nigeria is still under-represented in Pokemon Go. The biggest issue is the lack of reviewers due to the lack of Wayspots in the country. As a result, not enough people can reach a high enough level to review, and even if you could, you would still not find enough reviewers in your country.

So, it'll be super helpful if Niantic can devote more resources to Nigeria and maybe suggest a Nigerian/African Wayfarer Challenge.

@NianticCasey-ING

Comments

• Mormegil71-INGMormegil71-ING Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Nigeria isn't the worst country off. There are around 300 poi in the capital, and a scattering of poi in other towns as well. Meanwhile, we have places like Guinea, with just 10 poi in the capital, Conacry. Liberia, Sierra Leone and Gabon don't have much more.

Still, the numbers are very low compared to other areas with such an amount of people. I wish Nia could run regional challenges for African countries, like West, East, Central, South where areas, rather than single countries are targeted.

Sadly, much of Africa is the same. I try to run a list of numbers of stops per country in Africa, which I keep semi-updated, and it is only South Africa, the north african countries (not Libya), Mauritius, Kenya, Kap Verde and Ghana that are somewhat good. If anyone wants to see the list, please PM me.

But with at least fair numbers in the capital, there could maybe be possibilities for getting own reviewers in the country itself. If you have FB groups, you could maybe try to recruit new reviewers? I would like to help, but bonus location reviewers can only cover a small area now ( 9 S2 L7 cells, it used to be L6), and can't be changed more than once a year.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

In order to run a Challenge in a country, there must be enough nominations. If no one plays there and there are let's say 100 pending nominations, that would last only a few hours for a global pool of reviewers.

• bolade11six-PGObolade11six-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

The problem is people can't easily reach high levels without waypoints. Maybe Niantic can try reducing the level required to nominate and review waypoints in countries/regions where there aren't many waypoints. That way they can get already active players to become reviewers and populate the map

Totally, there are more players in Abuja and Lagos and they've added quite a number of waypoints already. In my city, there are only 4 waypoints and I have access to only a single one (it's a 30 minutes drive away from where I live). Whatever approach/strategy Niantic decides to take can be replicated in other countries too. I think reducing the levels required to nominate waypoints in regions lacking waypoints will help populate the map quickly

• attwmattwm-PGOattwmattwm-PGO Posts: 17 ✭✭

Then, problem is that your city doesn't have enough wayspots.

Luckily, I know some players who think where to put their bonus location.

Tell me your city. Some may review your city.

I wonder, maybe you could ask players from Lagos or Ikoduru to come and nominate things in Ibadan? It's about 100 kilometers, so it isn't that far. That might spark them into start reviewing things too.

I have my bonus location set to Abidjan atm, and I know players from there have made nominating trips to other towns, like Yamoussokrou, Grand Bassam, Dabou and Debrimou. Also, Abidjan now has more stops than Lagos (313 to 298). Nationwide, CIV has 379 to Nigerias 381. So Nigeria is soon losing the national "race" as well.

CIV had only 20 or so poi half a year ago. If you tell players in Lagos that they are losing to Abidjan and CIV, that might also make them spring into action. ;)

• attwmattwm-PGOattwmattwm-PGO Posts: 17 ✭✭

Plus,

you should make a group (Facebook,Telegram or other communication tool) like 'Pokemon GO Nigeria' and share various information about nominating & reviewing pokestops.

I know some Lv38+ players in Nigeria, if you can get many Nigerian players into your group, more players will become submitter & reviewers in your country. Then, Nigerian nominations will increase and smoothly get reviewed!

(P.S. One of my friends started to review your city, he got some nominations like post office.)

Thank you! I nominated the post office 😁

I'd love to meet other Nigerian players and maybe create a Discord or something. I don't know that many people that play it here.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I think that places with Wayspot densities below a certain level should be automatically reviewed by all players worldwide.

I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I've been convinced of it again when I screened Rwanda and Congo.

In that regard, we think Niantic should improve its screening program soon.

In the meantime, you and your community should prepare the following

Upload a 360° photo of the location of a good candidate to Google Maps using Google Street View whenever possible.

The problem with vetting in most African countries (except South Africa and Kenya) is that without Street View, it is impossible to verify that the Wayspot is really there.

This makes it difficult to give high location scores to candidates other than large public facilities.

However, by preparing 360° photos in advance, this problem can be avoided for the majority of candidates.

I wish you the best of luck.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Bionomad-INGBionomad-ING Posts: 2 ✭✭

I've been living in Cotonou, Benin since last year and unfortunately, I have had to review very poor quality nominations in Lagos. It seems to me that players will nominate anything they see in the street: random businesses, fast food restaurants, condominiums, supermarkets and other really bad POI (or rather points of disinterest). It also looks like reviewers, probably same players as submitters, seem to accept these way spots in Wayfarer which, as a consequence, put me as a poor reviewer. I am back to great reviewer now (thanks to nominations in Europe) and I avoid as much as I can to review way spots in Nigeria. I just skip them.

So, unless players in Nigeria start behaving a little better and according to the rules, I doubt there will be any action regarding the number of reviewers there and I don't know anyone who would be happy to add Nigeria as bonus location.

So you play in Benin? Well, we are trying to find new areas to have bonus reviewer efforts at. How is the situation in Benin?

Meanwhile, you could visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/366652355527884. The group is a try to gather african players in low density countries, and maybe help them out. There is also info on current and older reviewing efforts, lists on number of poi per country and so on.