Eco-friendly tree name sign

Hi All,

Recently, I want to submit a tree with a good story. However, there is no information board near it. Only a so-called eco-friendly name sign is on the tree. I’m not sure if it is a good candidate.

About the story of the tree

The name of the tree is rain tree, which features a very large umbrella-shaped crown. This tree is located on the campus of a university. It is not the oldest tree, but it is the biggest tree on the campus. The diameter of the tree crown is up to 37.5 meters.

As for how old it is, I did not find any official word about it. Someone said the age of the rain tree is exactly the same as the age of the university, which is 90 years old. The only sure thing is that the tree has been there before the building was completed in 1967. By the time the building was completed, the tree was not so big. However, the architect foresaw that the tree would become very large and preserved enough space for it. The building has a W-shaped design. Therefore, the tree could grow so big and become the largest tree on the campus now.

The tree is one of the most famous trees in the university. You could find several student publications, blog articles, and news articles talking about it on the internet. It is also registered as a valuable old tree by the university. Furthermore, rain trees are not common in my city. According to the local news website, there are only 5 such big old rain trees in my city. As a result, I think the tree is worth a visit.

About the candidates

As the pictures show, there is a name sign hanging around the stem of the tree. The university called them eco-friendly tree name signs. They claimed that the signs minimized the interference of the growth of the trees. The sign seems temporary, and actually, it is temporary. The university switches the sign every one or two years to ensure the quality of the sign. Furthermore, the name sign is mass-produced. Almost all the trees on the campus have such signs. Honestly, it is not a good nomination, in my opinion.

There is another sign anchored to the ground, which says do not step on it. I think it is also not a good candidate.

About the criteria

Natural features have been removed from the rejection criteria since criteria 3.1. However, there is still a rejection option of natural features on the review page. It says a nomination is ineligible if it focuses on natural features. I am not sure if it is allowed to nominate a tree without an information board.

Furthermore, according to the November AMA, a random tree would be a poor nomination. I am not sure if the story is good enough as the AMA required.

I would like to know what you think about it. Is this a good nomination? Or I just simply abandon it. All suggestions are welcome. Thank you all.

Comments

• SlicedPeas-INGSlicedPeas-ING Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

My opinion is that this tree is precisely the sort of thing Niantic had in mind with lifting the absolute ban on natural features.

However, the prohibition on walking up to it likely overrides by virtue of pedestrian access. I also assume the prohibition exists to protect the health of the tree, so adding waystop that might tempt people to trample the area doesn't seem wise.

My opinion would be to protect the tree, don't submit.

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is an excellent nomination. If you make your ‘About the story of the tree’ text a little more brief it can serve as your nomination’s Description. If you provide one or two good internet links in the Supplemental Information section it should be clear how special this tree is.

I hope the reviewers will be in agreement with you.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally would not rate this very highly. The only thing that you have stated that makes this unique is the age of the tree which itself doesn’t make it eligible. If its sign was of an educational aspect about the tree I would rate it slightly better. Pedestrian access is a non issue for this nomination.

Depending on what the articles say about the tree being “famous” i may be more inclined to rate it higher. But other than that the only thing you’ve stated about the tree is its got a name and its old which does not make it eligible.

If I was to nominate this I would definitely use the articles, news, and that the university registered it as valuable as reasons why it may fit the category of exploration. The size, age and how they constructed the university around it really doesn’t make this eligible.

In the end I see this as extremely borderline nomination and its how you use what makes it a “famous” tree in your description/supporting info. Would not be surprised if this gets rejected a lot before approval