I want "Recommend deletion" button.

Hi, All. @NianticBrian-ING @NianticGiffard @NianticCasey-ING @NianticGray

I'm sure some of my fellow Wayfinder enthusiasts have already made the same suggestion that I'm about to make, but I would really like to see a "Recommend Removal" button or something similar when I'm reviewing nearby Wayspots and see something that is clearly suspicious or not up to standard. 

I'd really like to see that. Not just a "duplicate" button.

This is the case, for example,

A road-integrated bridge has been applied for, well that's a problem too, but we'll leave that aside for now.

My attention was drawn to a small red Wayspot near here .

The title in Japanese write "長堀新田 小さな社 ".

”長堀新田小さな社" means something like "Nagahorishinden Small Shrine".

Original Photo URL:

I was surprised.

Yes, there is a small red shrine, but all that surrounds it are graves, graves, graves.

It's not more than 3m to 4m away.

Why is this Wayspot approved!

It's horrible.

Rather, this exists in the graveyard: 

Astonishing.

At times like this I think. I would really like to see a "Recommend deletion" button instead of just a "MARKS AS DUPLICATE" button.

@NianticBrian-ING @NianticGiffard @NianticCasey-ING @NianticGray

It would be my great pleasure if you would consider it positively.

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks for reaching out, @MagicalThorn-ING! We would like to further understand the feedback you're trying to share.

If the red shrine is in the right location, it should be a valid candidate. However, if it’s in the wrong location, you can submit a location edit via the Ingress Scanner or Pokémon GO app.

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he is worried about how close the shrine is to the graves around it, and then he considers it unacceptable (sensitive location).

• MagicalThorn-INGMagicalThorn-ING Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

@NianticGiffard @NianticBrian-ING

The system still has some immaturity in it.

I am suggesting that we make it better.

I understand that if you spend a lot of money and time, going to the site just to apply for deletion is one of the ways. However, please understand that this is not what I am trying to say.

If Wayfarer! and Wayfinder are to be accepted as "good systems" for social life, it is time that measures are put in place to correct bad ones as soon as they are discovered.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MagicalThorn-ING I think they just need more proof to remove it. Some pictures will help. I think they need all of the text to be in English as well but I’m not 100% sure. I agree with you on what you’ve said & I believe this is sensitive as well

Hi, @NianticGiffard

Most of what we find during the screening process is in places that are not even within walking distance.

If you have a scanner at hand, you'll know what we mean.

The abused Wayspot we found would take over 9 hours to get to from my home town by express train, and would cost at least $146 USD.

Just to apply for the removal of one case.

@NianticGiffard

I understand what you are trying to say, and that is why I am petitioning you.

Also, this is a public cemetery, and this red shrine Wayspot in a public cemetery is once again inappropriate.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

"sensitive" is not a reason for removal

• Raachermannl-INGRaachermannl-ING Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Difficult topic. It's not a reporting reason the players can choose, but Niantic is often very fast in removing graveyard wayspots ....

@Brukterra-PGO had a lot of disappearing village churches in his region. No appeals existing. So only 2 possibilities: removal after ingame report, or real life complaints via the form. Second one is very unlikely, because no players in these villages. The point here is, that small old village churches are usually in the middle of the villages graveyards. in my personal oppinion the cultural relevance of a church outnumbers any thoughts towards "sensitive location", so that ingame reports should never have an impact on them. Only the pastor should be a valid person to ask for removal ....

The cemetery is just one example, and I am calling for a button to recommend the removal of undesirable items that are already online near the proposed site, which we discovered during the Wayfarer!

;)

• Raachermannl-INGRaachermannl-ING Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the general idea. But your example is not the very best ;)

The main usage, that I see for this, is for reporting fakes, since fakes are in most cases gregarious animals. Together with the comment field in the reviewing interface this might be a very effective tool.

Your example with the sensitive stuff is an example, where I would say, that such a feature would be over-used.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Sensitive locations are not reason for removal. If the location is correct it is in line with current wayfarer guidelines. As things inside a cemetery can be eligible.

for this to be removed you would need the property manager/owner to submit a removal for this wayspot

What do you think about the Recommend Delete button?

You have only mentioned the object in the graveyard.

• MiDnIgHtZoMbIes-PGOMiDnIgHtZoMbIes-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

It all depends on how sensitive the location is. Some are owned by city, county, state, etc… Especially in the US. If POI was submitted & faked it could be reason for removal. I’m struggling to understand the situation fully though. I think this is just a sensitive location, so it’s not necessarily reason for removal, especially if only because of gym control, etc

You are completely correct @MiDnIgHtZoMbIes-PGO. If it is faked it could be reason for removal but I’m not sure that’s the case. Either way, good point!! I believe you are right. @Jtronmoore-PGO said that if location is correct so I’m positive he knows as well & that is what he meant. Couldn’t have said it better myself though

I don't think it's a good idea to have the perception that the owner should be the one to request deletion, and that no one else should (or has the right to) say anything about it.

Places where safety cannot be guaranteed.

Places that are off-limits, etc. e.t.c.

There are certain places that should not be used for playing location-based games.

It's only natural.

Don't lose your common sense.Please.

'The owner hasn't asked for it to be removed, so it's OK to keep using it!'

'It's online by accident, but it's there and it would be a shame not to use it. Yes, let's use it!'

'If they want to delete it, why don't the owners just delete it?

It's not our job to delete. I don't know about the rest.'

If you think that, then we don't have a bright future ahead of us.

There are norms, ethics, morals and laws that are more important than the rules of the game.

There are other "unwritten rules" that should not be violated in a socially acceptable manner.

Rather, the rules of the game should be based on them.

And not deviate from them.

Of course, the rules laid down in the game take account of those things.

It is only natural that there are certain things that are prescribed by them.

However, there are many things that are now online as wayspots that make you shake your head.

'It's up to the owner to delete what's online. That's his job.'

'I don't know about the rest. It's wrong for anyone but the owner to interfere! He's the owner, he's the one who should be doing all the deletion requests!'

If you start muttering like that, 

it's a bad idea.

Why do you think the owner has to apply for deletion?

Why should he have to bear the burden of doing so?

It is arrogant to force the owner to remove something that is clearly inappropriate, because we are the ones who made Wayspot what it is.

If something is wrong (even if you or I don't own the place) If we don't think, speak up and make things right

No organisation or game can be accepted as a member of society if it cannot cleanse itself.

If something is wrong, you and I must say, "It's wrong" and not despair.

In the early days of the game, let's assume that the rules were not yet fully developed.

But in time, as the number of participants increases, the spirit of "making it better" will gradually develop!

As the organisation matures, the rules must mature to match.

The rules should be developed and refined.

In this way, they are accepted by society.

Let us, as members of the society around us, 

Let us make the right choices so that we can say that we are doing the right thing.

Please stop and think about what I am saying before you think I am ”Don't be so naive!”.

I'm sure it will work out well for everyone.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

There is a process for this. I believe it was suggested to you by a niantic mod here. But you are no where near close to the nomination you want deleted so you have no way of telling if its real, eligible or not just by a glance of a photo (as this isnt obviously ineligible) and also even the niantic mod had stated its fine within current guidelines

To answer your question about a “should delete button”. My answer is :there already is a process in place. This is so people dont abuse it. Its to easy to click on random wayspots you dont think are worthy but if your really sure it shouldnt be in the game put in the leg work for it.

Just to put it out there, I am never a fan of wayspots in cemeteries. How ever if they meet criteria they meet criteria and I rate accordingly. A general rule I and many other players in the community go by for cemetery stops is to use common courtesy. If they are hosting a funeral, dont try to start a raid with a ton of people. If theres no one there do what you need to do 🤷‍♂️

• auntergoaf-PGOauntergoaf-PGO Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭

November AMA

Non-grave memorials and buildings in cemeteries: Eligible or not eligible?

Private places of mourning such as individual gravestones or mausoleums are generally too sensitive to be eligible. However, any locations in cemeteries that have become public attractions are eligible. This would include memorials for famous individuals, historical chapels, and government historical markers. 

Since shrine nominations often have history or origins in their description or supporting information, the judges cannot conclude that the wayspots in the cemetery are not "public attractions" simply by looking at the nominated photos or searching online.

It's not only the red shrine. The description of the bridge says that it was the boundary of villages more than 100 years ago. Even if the bridge is approved and shown on the map, you can't tell the history of the bridge just by looking at the photo, can you?

​Ask yourself again what you should do to reduce invalid wayspots.

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, I'm not a fan of people re reviewing full areas from distance without any supporting information. It will quickly get out of control.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador

Posted a meme here to be approved but used the wrong “forum monster”. Everyone ignore that. I hate being wrong in public.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador

The thread of the title made me think of this moment in Doctor Who so enjoy a poorly put together meme.