Possible rejection appeals idea

I have received a handful of rejected nominations with rejection reasons that do not make sense, and I have seen others received them as well. I heard Niantic was looking into a process of appeals and i had an idea that could possibly help. There has to be away to appeal the rejection reasons, have them sent back to be looked at by other different reviewers like "does this picture look like it was taken from a car or pitch black", "is the nomination in a sensitive area like a cemetery" Yes or No. For no criteria met it could be "is the nomination a great place to explore, exercise, be social or none" and then if it passes, it would be approved and the people that originally rejected get dinged on their score for incorrect reviewing. Have the appeals be like wayspot picture review, simple and based on the information presented. I feel this way it could lead to what niantic wants to do in opening up more places to be wayspots and less reviewer bias.

Comments

• ElPortalDeNorbe-PGOElPortalDeNorbe-PGO Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

On the one hand I think what you propose is interesting.

But on the other hand, the wait would become even longer and tedious.

Imagine that there were 3 or 4 different rejections and that you had to evaluate if they were correct.

If there are already areas where it takes forever to accept ... imagine with this "add".

• DarthFuego86-PGODarthFuego86-PGO Posts: 24 ✭✭

Maybe earning an appeal would be like earning an upgrade, would help with not adding too much more to the pool of nominations.

Also this would hopefully make people wiser in what they choose if their ratings go down if they keep rejecting just to reject and choosing random reasons to avoid a cool down.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of people don't look beyond the "odd" rejection categories that appear and get all worked up about "taken from a car" rejection reasons and don't pick up on the fact that one of the categories they are getting for rejection is "Does not meet criteria". Whether on not a photo was "taken from a car" makes no real difference if the main (correct) reason is actually "Does not meet criteria. Therefore, it is pointless to try to appeal / vote on one particular rejection criteria reason, you wold have to essentially go through the whole Nomination review process again. No - this photo wasn't taken from a car, but yes, your nomination is still invalid because it does not meet criteria.

As we have seen in these forums, everybody thinks their own nomination is a "guarenteed 5* nomination", yet in a very large number of cases the community here things not.

As long as your vote on a nomination matches the overall vote (ie you vote "car window"), everybody else says "invalid", then you have essentially made the same "no" vote on a nomination as everybody else, so you are in agreement with everybody else and your rating actually gets a good rating "tick" than going down. Essentially, the system does not diffentiate and it does not matter what you select.

I think the only was to "appeal" a nomination would be to put it back into the system at the top of the list and have a complete re-review, with it not going to anyone who reviewed it before. It would also have to be a limited system needing something like an earned "revote" token or it would just overload the Wayfarer comminity, which is struggling wih capacity at the moment.

Until Niantic improve the Nomination results system and show a better breakdown of the rejection reasons percentages - eg "Does not meet criteria" - 96% - Car Window - 2% - Animal 2% then we are going to see this continuing "stupid reasons - punish the reviewer - deliberate markdown - done on purpose" over excited complaints. Honestly, seeing the over the top reactions of some people in here, I can see some reviewers dropping in the odd "troll rejection reason" just for the lols.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be nice to see what you can do to earn an appeal. Make it 1 upgrade is worth for 1 appeal. Theres a good chance that most nominations when rejected could be just from being a bad nomination on something that is eligible. Id like to see in the future when the appeals come for nominations to have a specific checklist that nominators have to have done prior to submitting an appeal to basically alleviate the workload off of niantics shoulders.

could be something like

has nomination been submitted twice prior to trying to appeal?

create google photosphere for location for authentication purposes on niantics side

provide all possible information about nomination. As well as a write up on how it meets 1 or more of the criteria.

add additional pictures as needed to support

Think with this kind of format will help niantic employees get rid of people just wanting to appeal anything and everything since it will require a little effort. Giving it two tries through nominations may feel unnecessary but they always ask for you to resubmit and if both are rejected then at least you can say you trued multiple times. And the rest of the info just helps prove why your nomination is worth it to who ever niantic has to review it.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see your point, but I think in the long run, if implemented well, such an appeal could actually help. When I have to resubmit (and re-upgrade) something 5 or 6 times because reviewers appear to think that universities are K12 schools and a park with a name sign is a natural feature, it doesn't help with the backlog. In my opinion, removing bad reviewers would be a good thing for Wayfarer overall.

• Stephyypooke-INGStephyypooke-ING Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like these ideas but the only time I think I would want to actually appeal a rejection as opposed to just resubmitting would be if I submitted something while on vacation and I don’t know if I will be back again. In those cases, I wouldn’t be able to submit more than once before appealing the rejection.

I’m looking forward to the pogo “upload later” for these instances so I can kind of bank a second nomination that will be ready to go after a bit of tweaking if my first attempt is rejected.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah the only reason I mentioned the it has been submitted twice is so that people wont continuously nominate get a rejection then try to appeal again. I can see also having to check off what you are trying to appeal would also be beneficial to the process. Would allow niantic to filter out some really useless appeals (bus stops, mail boxes, natural features as an example).

I’m also looking forward to the upload later as cell service is kinda iffy in places lol