Banquet hall are not ineligible

Banquet balls are listed as eligible. Yet they keep getting denied over and over and over again. Guess I’m going to keep submitting over and over again. We really need a way to weed out the bad reviewers. This is getting ridiculous the reasons for ineligible if you can’t put a real reason. Let it go through. Stop making excuses. Rant over.

Comments

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Banquet halls can be eligible, yes, but they're definitely not something I'd call an easy slamdunk nomination.

Maybe if you share your nominations (pictures, title, description, supporting info), we might be able to provide some insight.

• wbguy88-PGOwbguy88-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭

What would make it ineligible? A banquet hall is a banquet hall. They all perform the same function. It is even in the frequent asked questions as being eligible as it is a place for large gatherings. I will keep submitting as the question has been asked and answered as to make what makes a good spot almost every year and the clarify it is a good spot. Will go and look up the question and answer to post.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is it listed as eligible? I just checked and it is not on the list of examples.

Niantic wayfarer wayspot something that draws us together to share an experience in a locally and culturally relevant way.

How is a banquet hall any different than a neighborhood recreation center?

I see them as comparable as the recreation center is free for the community and a banquet hall is empty. But someone rents it for a social gathering. I’ve seen birthday parties at Rex centers I’ve seen parties at banquet halls. I’ve see reception at recreation centers. It is a place of social gathering. I guess I just see it differently as why make a case for one banquet hall over another. As they all perform the same function. I’ve submitted for the next AMA hopefully get some clarification. As I’ve submitted 1 and it got approved by niantic but I don’t want to send them each of them that has been denied and waste niantics time.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all: there's a wide grey area between "definitely eligible, 5*, accept" (like a public plyground or a sculpture in a park) and "definitely ineligible, 1*, reject" (like an elementary school or something in the middle of a roundabout). Banquet halls are in this grey area: they might be eligible, but you have to convince reviewers that the specific one you're nominating is actually eligible (because there's something particularly interesting about it or because of its community importance).

Based only on the "place of social gathering" criteria, just about any open or rentable space would be eligible. McDonalds and Pizza Hut host parties. There are plenty of open grassy fields where there's a festival or event of some sorts once in a while. Still, those are generally seen as ineligible unless there's something special about them.

The reason I asked you to post your actual submissions is that we could offer insight beyond "meh, maybe", which is as far as the criteria go.

Also, I don't really understand what you mean by "I’ve submitted 1 and it got approved by niantic". Niantic doesn't approve nominations. The reviewing community does.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked for evidence that banquet halls were "listed as eligible" and you provide none (because none exists). @Nadiwereb-PGO asked you to share you nomination information and you did not provide that either. I can only presume that this was a minimal effort nomination and was rejected accordingly. You cannot blame the reviewers when you didn't put any effort into the nomination. You simply presumed it would be accepted and didn't write an appropriate description or supporting information that explained how YOU think the building meets criteria.

And lastly, NIantic doesn't approve Wayspots. They leave that decision entirely to the Wayfarer reviewing community. That other banquet halls were accepted does not mean that this particular one must also be accepted or that reviewers were wrong in rejecting it.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show us your nomination and we can help. At this point all we can do is speculate. If your banquet hall in on school property it wil be ineligible. Otherwise I don’t know why it would get rejected. Again share your full nomination wifh us and we can possibly help

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Well, I could probably rent a room at a recreation center for an event. But (in non-pandemic times) I can also probably go to a recreation center and register for a sports league, play or watch a game of basketball, see a concert by a local band, attend an educational workshop, or play in the weekly bingo night. Those specific activities might not be offered at every recreation center, and certainly they will vary by region, but they're the types of things I associate with a recreation center.

I've certainly approved some banquet hall facilities in Wayfarer, but I'm usually looking for something that demonstrates that the banquet hall has some kind of value to the community beyond just being a room for rent. Perhaps they (or a group that rents the facility) hold regular events for the community (like those workshops, concerts, or bingo nights). Perhaps the hall is known to be the best place in town to have your wedding or reception (preferably you would be able to back this up with some kind of verifiable evidence). Perhaps the building/banquet hall is of historical or architectural value. Perhaps it's in a really scenic location (like a converted barn). Any details like this can help if they make me think it's more than just a room with tables, chairs, and a P.A. system. While there's no exact formula I can give for where the "line" is between approval and rejection, as much supporting detail as you can provide will give you the best shot.

I provided the reason above. But oh well. The nomination can be the same as one that was approved but another one will not be approved for temporary location or explicit business. I’ve never gotten a real reason why. I understand why some of my nominations are rejected. They have the correct reasoning. I was in a rush so yes it was a bad picture or hey I was in a rush and didn’t type out my description well. Or one I never did get they said it was a stock photo but it was my photo but it was a new phone. I took down the resolution and weird it got approved. I know all the BS about all the little things that people don’t approve. But this one no one has given a reason why one would be approved over another. It is a place to social gathering like a bowling alley a pérgola at a park, a recreation center among other things. They all serve the same purpose. A place to socially gather. Now if people want to say hey this type of socially gathering is different than this kind of socially gathering. Then that is the reason I guess.

• Freakmaster5050-PGOFreakmaster5050-PGO Posts: 60 ✭✭

I consider banquet halls to be eligible for the reasons given. Gathering place. A place doesn’t need to have gatherings there every day for it to be eligible. Otherwise churches would be ineligible as they often only meet once a week, wedding chapels even less. Most banquet halls will have dance floors. That covers the social and “staying active” aspects.

a McDonald’s and Pizza Hut would not qualify as they are chain businesses.

i don’t think they are a 5* but they are passable

• purplepopple-INGpurplepopple-ING Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

I could make a good argument that many a parking lot are good gathering places because it is where young people gather for botellón / to drink. Many young people also dance and skateboard and listen to music. These are very common things to do in small towns in Spain with limited social opportunities. Ditto the stoop of an apartment building. They meet all the Niantic criteria as per your justificación for a banquet Hall. If the description says a parking lot is where botellón happens, does it pass? (No.)

I concur with others. There is a reason there are no screenshots and further explicit info on your submission. You have an edge case at best, and you don't want to share knowing that.

Comparing a parking lot to a building is a bit of a stretch. What exactly would you use as the nomination photo? A banquet hall is a permanent picture. I stick by my statement all banquet halls serve the same purpose. No need for supplemental info or picture. I will just have to keep submitting as 4 just went through on Russia upgrades.