Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Overprotective, Non-Inclusive Profanity Filter

Comments

• Eneeoh-PGOEneeoh-PGO Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recommending edits or changes becomes problematic when we can no longer trouble sho.ot, or ki.ll posts, threads, nominations, etc.

We are rapidly approaching the place where we can no longer understand each other due to all this ****.

“****” means to see, discern, perceive. Very useful word for discussion with/among evaluators.

ma.ke o.ut.

• BleedBoss-PGOBleedBoss-PGO Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@NianticAaron @NianticGiffard @NianticCasey-ING @NianticAtlas sup charrabicos, where is the update on this? Is this the player's fault again for opening Wayfarer while running version 13.0.1 of Firefox while using a Windows-Based system?

• BleedBoss-PGOBleedBoss-PGO Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Do you not remember when people were getting cooldowns they never got before, and Niantic stated it was "the players fault as they cant recreate it on their testings"?

The word is ****. W.hack. Please bring it back, dammit.

edited July 2021

Please permit wayfarers to say ‘this is not a ****-dam’.

Be aver.

Kindly explain who must be protected from what, exactly, here.

Every. Single. Word. in every language of mankind can be used as a euphemism for something else.

Dr. Seuss famously used ‘euphemism’ as a proxy for ‘bathroom’, which is proxy for ‘toilet’, which is proxy….

edited July 2021

I just want to add:

Children do not belong on this forum. If they are here you Niantic are traumatizing them with your filter that says everything is ****.

If they are not here, they are not traumatized by human intercourse in any language.

Please reconsider this abhorrent censorship.

Post edited by Eneeoh-PGO on
  • sofiaviolet23-INGsofiaviolet23-ING Posts: 4 ✭✭

Coolidge also seems to be on the naughty list... which is going to make nominating anything named for former US President Calvin Coolidge real difficult.

edited July 2021

The English word: sC.rEaM appears to be blocked from use in these forums. Not sure who is served by that, don’t know if moan, beg, shout, holler or yell is okay.

Perhaps the 43rd President of the United States might like to know why his surname is censored.

Bush.

George ****.

Or, you know, a garden shrub: b.u.s.h….

****, ****, shot. (You know, that thing we do with cameras?)

Kill, killed, ****. Because our nominations expire.

Gag, gagging, gagged. Language used in boardrooms, courtrooms, comedies?

Cut, cutting?

Chop, chopping, chopped? We all must edit….

edited July 2021

**** is not a curse-word.

c.r.a.p. is not a threat, nor does it have carnal implications. It’s one of those interjection/epithets like darn and heck that people use to express ire without being offensive.

edited July 2021

Please re-tool or retire your filtration of these fora.

The latest banned word: ****.

handi-cap

How on earth are we to discuss usability and access issues without this term?

Why is the Wayfarer community saddled with anything but the lightest form of language correction.

Please utilize human intelligence to curb those who insult or denigrate each other on this site. Do not continue to hamstring or **** us as though we were a particularly malevolent group of pre-teenaged hoodlums.

Thanks for listening.

S.crew.

Admittedly sometimes a euphemism for coitus, this is a useful word, and that is merely one euphemistic use of it. Once it is acknowledged that there is no winning a War On Euphemism, all that remains is the question: whom does it serve to block these words that are inoffensive in their own rights?

Even if some value existed in keeping some of these terms from being used in Waypoint titles or descriptions: What good is done filtering this stuff on the Wayfarer Community forum? We need words in order to communicate, and blocking the wrong ones makes the environment more hostile, not less so.

edited July 2021

Hi.

It’s me, again. Talking to a brick wall.

Today, we found that the phrase ‘****-nilly’ has been blocked by your over-achieving smut filter.

That’s ****, as in Free ****, or **** Wonka…

Is this auto-censoring device going to be Niantic’s next product? It really needs a total overhaul.

Please censor those who post Richard Pictures, and leave our colorful phrases alone.

edited July 2021

The noun **** is still being blocked. Also the noun ****. Kindly reconsider these words, especially for our Ozzie cousins.

As in, my best **** said ‘a bird in the hand is worth two in the ****’.

I just learned that Apple’s weather app for iOS will not report a temperature of 69 degrees F.

Thought we could check and see if our friendly neighborhood filter is equally impacted.

Why is it that common words and phrases in English: e.g. ****, ****, ****** are still blocked in this forum after being reported, while mierda which is considered vulgar in Spanish is not?

Is there a real or perceived problem with the sensitivity of English-speakers? Are they harassing each other or threatening somebody differently than the non-English-speakers?

How’s the Trust and Safety team making out with their challenges? Are they handicapped in their trouble-**** endeavors by ****-league ****-ups that come on them out of the blue?

The ****-nilly playing of ****-a-mole with these eager beavers screams: abuse!

Meanwhile, we cannot quote from the rejection criteria, because they contain prohibited words.

edited July 2021

Still, the French cannot use les (the group form of le or la, in other words *the*), while the Spanish can spread mierda copiously.

Is anybody actually reconsidering any of this, or are you all just rearranging the chairs?

• Cdk296-PGOCdk296-PGO Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Ahh today I have the find a way around to not the use the word l e s which the plural of "the". And after my POI was blocked for something I have no clue about it. I just deleted the description of the POI before submission.

• UllaHelen-PGOUllaHelen-PGO Posts: 82 ✭✭

I think that "pusse" is the problem here. **** is a vulgar word for mouth.

• PeteC303-INGPeteC303-ING Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

The word COBHAM now needs removing from banned word list. It’s a place in the UK and I can’t think why on earth it would be found offensive. Can’t add it to my description now.

**** a favor please, and unblock the phrase d.o. m.e.

At least, with most of these words and phrases, try to use a little nuance so they are permitted in sentences and only block them when they stand alone.

We are still left wondering why a forum for adults to discuss the nomination, regulation, and curation of physical Points of Interest is saddled with a filter designed to protect grammar-school-aged children from each other.

• Khatre-INGKhatre-ING Posts: 181 ✭✭✭✭

word "tête" in french for head is also banned. which is weird for a pretty common word

• Stultusz-INGStultusz-ING Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

As a suggestion for NIA: Before adding word filters into production, consider running them against the current Wayspots title and descriptions.

If there's several hits around the world, then probably the word filter isn't fit for production.

It's something so simple that a CS student could do it for you.

Until then, please disable the word filter or at least inform the players of which words were banned in the error.

Aside from the frustration of a clogged up queue and high-variance reviews, nominating has become a mini-game of blind ****-a-mole, where you're trying to avoid random, TOTALLY SAFE AND COMMON WORDS because they happen to be blocked.

@Stultusz-ING Unfortunately, Niantic appears to have more lawyers than CS students. They do not appear to be making many adjustments, either, that I can see….

One of the rejection criteria involves the subject of harassment. Please remove h.ara.ss and its various forms and tenses from the censored list, so we can discuss concerns with clarity and will not appear to be cursing.

More and more types of words are falling into this ill-founded sinkhole.

The word ‘f.a.t.’ is apparently blocked, which makes me wonder where this is leading. F.at-fingered is a metaphor people generally use to implicate their own keyboard errors. F.at is a sort of term-of-art for editors. It also used literally and figuratively in all kinds of ways.

Can’t this forum operate under general anti-defamation rules, rather than censoring any word that might be used derogatively?