ABUSE - User submits multiple abusive photos complete with spoofing app overlay visible

AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

A user submitted multiple abusive screenshots of a wayspot as photo submissions, complete with their spoofing app overlay visible in the photos.

Portal: City of Jacksonville St Johns River Park and Marina

Link: https://intel.ingress.com/?ll=30.319505,-81.660454&z=15&pll=30.319505,-81.660454

Tagged:

Comments

• BleedBoss-PGOBleedBoss-PGO Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

So, not only does this player belong to the demographic that Niantic seems to continuously cater to (Big source of income), but he is also submitting photos to WaySpots to help them further improve their geographical map, thus further increasing their profit?

Not too sure if you're going to have any luck with this one Andy. Best of luck!

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the photo I see on a portal is mostly black background from a phone, I'm thinking it's a bad portal not worth visiting.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador
    edited July 2021

"Even just recently, with the Russian wayfarer challenge, they proved their foul play by intentionally ommiting information about what made you eligible for the rewards, moving goalposts at the END of the event, and only just recently did the right thing because there was HUGE BACKLASH. If all of this isn't evidence enough, then i don't know."

I'm quoting just this section of @BleedBoss-PGO 's post because that's where I primarily disagree. The Russian event was pre-publicized, received criticism about its rewards, and was adjusted twice by player request. Sure, it was a little confusing, but it was my first event of the type and I figured it out. I don't claim to be the smartest person out there, so I'm a good tester. I appreciate their agility with the rewards, and the fact that they listened to their base and acted upon their wishes.

Also, all Niantic games are designed to be profitable. Pokemon Go is the most successful at it, that's all. HPWU has a more expensive look and feel to it than Pokemon Go will ever have, but it's my third game and I cannot spare the time needed to play well because I'm devoted to Ingress and Pokemon already.

Welp, early in the morning and no coffee, it still applies to Ingress players and the rest of the post stands true 👍

I wouldn't say so. It's just my personal opinion and factcheck in this company.

I'm having trouble determining what this thread has to do with Wayfarer in general. Of course, I'm also having difficulty figuring out the context for the image shown and how it shows spoofing, but maybe I'm just not familiar enough to know what I'm looking for there. I may need someone to draw little red arrows and circles and stuff.

I have lots of opinions about spoofer detection efforts, community attitudes towards various TOS violations, corporate response, etc. etc. that aren't really relevant here. The attitudes of the player communities are much, much different between games - but Wayfarer is not a game, it's a volunteer job. The games don't matter.

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

The star icon in the upper lefthand corner of the first two submitted pictures is the menu button for a popular spoofing app.

• Belahzur-INGBelahzur-ING Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

Moderator Note: Removed for being off-topic.

Post edited by NianticAtlas on

I'm passing my personal opinion based on facts. Let me give you an example: Fact: X brand of liquor might be the "best" in terms of brewing.

My opinion: Despite X being the best brew, i don't like it.

• Freakmaster5050-PGOFreakmaster5050-PGO Posts: 60 ✭✭

I dunno, I also play ingress and there are a TON of crappy portals out there.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion, and that's fair. But all the comments i made regarding Niantic are absolute facts. And based on those facts, i built my opinion. Is it just an opinion? Yeah. Is what i stated the truth? Yes.

I don't really see the problem here, officer.

Kinda exactly what i said. Interesting how this community (not you in particular) can have such double standards to the point of disagreeing with my POV yet AGREEING with someone that agrees with me 😂

You might have missed the point. In no way am i promoting filling the database with garbage. And as i stated, from my experience, Ingress players tend to be more detail oriented, quality over quantity. This is not to say ALL Ingress players are a godsend, and not ALL pogo players are stop-hungry.

Also, you have to remember that it IS an issue across multiple games. Moving a POI in pogo doesn't matter much (unless it's into a cell that's already occupied). That same movement used to cause Fortresses in WU to downgrade to Inns, and as far as Ingress goes, that same movement causes links to drop. Same action, different impact.

Meanwhile, @NianticAaron @NianticAtlas @NianticCasey-ING @NianticGiffard, how about taking a look into this? It's easy birds with one stone: You can remove someone flooding the database with garbage AND ban an admitted spoofer. Christmas came early!

• Hi there, @AisforAndis-ING! We have reviewed the report and have taken action on the Wayfinder in accordance with our policies. Thanks for helping us maintain the quality of the Wayspots.

This discussion has been closed.