Punishment for incorrect reviewing

Niantic need to start implementing punishments to reviewers who incorrectly review nominations. Nominations are tricky and risky at the moment and just had another nomination incorrectly flagged as a seasonal display even though its a restaurant that's been a staple in my town for over 6 years at this point and it's the only Sushi bar in a city with over 1m population so it's extremely popular all which was mentioned in the supporting info but seeing as the reviews are mostly done by people who do not live in my town it's a real problem getting these valid nominations through. Niantic needs to open up a forum to have these nominations re-evaluated and the reviewers lose their privileges as many in my country are still refusing to accept the new criteria and still want to gate keep the game and the system do not need them.

Tagged:

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador

It’s been mentioned but it’s a grey area which helps Niantic.

There are a lot of submitters who should lose the right to submit based on the garbage we see in Wayfarer too. I’m fed up of Christmas trees and the view from the submitters window.

• PhoenixOmicron-PGOPhoenixOmicron-PGO Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

Most reviewers are extremely picky when it comes to submissions that are not Churches, playgrounds, or something related to sports . It's as though the default answer is no and you have to pull a used car salesman pitch before it will even be considered. I'll give an example: a weather station on a local hiking trail that uploads data remotely to a local weather news channel. It's not a hang out spot or a common waypoint. But it is visually unique, large, and stands out as a impromptu marker on the trail and even has a sign of the company that owns it. Size-wise I would consider it akin to a water tower which is also not a hang out spot. When it comes to stuff like this, we should stop refusing to think outside the box from time to time.

• Damastaglen-PGODamastaglen-PGO Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

Let me start by saying I’m not discrediting your nomination, having not seen it but I am simply playing devils advocate as it helps my point. It sounds like yours would have been a reasonable candidate.

The amount of bad nominations we see come through here, imagine people had the ability to resubmit those if told no. Either people do not know the criteria in which case they’ll resubmit or they simply don’t care and want a house stop/portal and in both scenarios they should .

The problem you’ll have is everyone will start moaning ‘oh why wasn’t my nomination accepted’ and Niantic will have to review loads and if they are going to review so many you may as well let them do the lot thus removing wayfarer. Even if they didn’t, imagine the queues for Niantic to have to go through all of the filth just to get to the few that are unjustly rejected - you would be waiting that long you may as well resubmit it anyway.

What could work is an NFL style challenge - If you wish to challenge and get Niantic to review it, it’ll cost you an upgrade. If the community is wrong and they reverse the decision, you’ll get your upgrade back if not you lose it. That way, you’ll only appeal if you think it’s truly unjustified because the work involved to earn the challenge makes you think twice. Secondly, it will get more people on to Wayfarer so they have to do the test and learn about what is or is not eligible.

• Hi @Juanhj-ING,

We do take action against reviewers who do not review as per our criteria. These actions may include, but are not limited to, sending a warning message, placing restrictions on their Wayfarer, Pokémon GO or Ingress account, putting their account on probation, or placing a temporary or permanent suspension on their Wayfarer, Pokémon GO or Ingress account. 

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of the problem is that, beyond the "Automatic 5* Nominations" for things like Playgrounds and Churches, there is a large measure of individual judgement asked for when reviewing. The review page says "Rate the following categories to help us judge the best content for this Wayspot", so having read the all of the criteria (not just the acceptance guidelines) I will rate things to the best of my ability based on my understanding and interpretation of the guidelines. A large number of my reviews seem to be agreed with by the other reviewers, but a proportion are not. Why I got these "wrong" I do not know, as Niantic to not offer any reviewer feedback to enable Wayfarers to improve. I wish they did, it is one of my, and many other peoples, requests each time an AMA suggestion list is asked for.

Add this to those people submitting who either deliberately or mistakenly misinterpret the guidelines, or will argue on and on and on that "You have to accept my submission, the criteria say it is eligiable so it must go through", even when a string of commentators say otherwise, and you can see why Niantic won't get involved in something like this. Exactly who is going to decide which reviewers "incorrectly review nominations", and is this "incorrect review" deliberate or accidental? As NianticCasey said today, "we’re ending 2020 with over 370,000 Explorers". Thats a lot of people to police.