Are symbols but also characters allowed in the title?

Hi all,

I found this nomination in the showcase. As the picture shows, there are two swastika symbols in the title. The swastika symbol represents divinity and spirituality in Buddhism culture. And it should not be confused with the Nazi symbol, which is tilted and right-facing.

However, there is something tricky. The swastika symbol is also a Chinese character. We can read the character and find the definition of the character in the official dictionary. The meaning of the character is similar to the meaning of the swastika symbol. Strictly speaking, the character is not emoji.

As far as I know, the official name of this temple is “南千宮” not “卍南千宮廟堂卍”. In my opinion, the character “卍” is redundant. I’m not sure if it is allowed to use such a title.

Any opinions are welcome. Thank you.

pic 1. screenshot of the showcase

pic 2. screenshot of the official dictionary

pic 3. a buddharupa. source: https://pixabay.com/zh/photos/big-buddha-buddha-kindly-656945/

Tagged:

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

I wouldnt really put them into a title or description, but I wouldnt say that they are prohibited. Emojis or emojicons are ineligeble, this is a symbol, which is also viewable on the object. I would personally not accept this symbol, but thats maybe because I am German. Hope you understand me here.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I would say that if the symbol is purely decorative (and not part of the actual name of the item), then it shouldn't be in the title, even if it happens to be a character in the language. It's not the most egregious issue, but the official title would be better, and it would probably be something to reject the nomination over if it hadn't already been approved.

• Hi there,

Thanks for surfacing, I reviewed this location with the members of our Chinese-speaking team and it looks as though the use of this symbol in this context is decorative (similar to the use of an emoji) and indicates that this is a Buddhist monument.

With this in mind, and reinforced by my team members, I would say that the symbol is extraneous and could be removed as the title still makes sense without it.

Remember that the title criteria for Wayspots recommends that the title of a Wayspots be a clear and accurate representative of the location and not include use of emojis or emoticons.

Hope that helps!

• phi2458-PGOphi2458-PGO Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

I get it. Thank you all :)