Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Painted Fire Hydrants

Would painted fire hydrants fall under the "obstructs emergency services " category? I've always wondered and I've seen a few while reviewing lately. I don't want to review them wrong.

Apologies in advance if a similar question has been asked already. I tried to search the forum, but I keep getting a gateway timeout error.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• 5h4d3d51d35-PGO5h4d3d51d35-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭

I keep getting that if I search too.

Personally I'd okay it, it's unlikely that there would be a chance of blocking of emergency services as I'm guessing you'd be playing on the sidewalk?

Hang on for some more informed advice though, I'm pretty new here and we don't have fire hydrants.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Plus, if the fire hydrant is being used you probably shouldn't be in the area anyway, because, you know, there's an obvious fire hazard nearby. I'd be okay with it too. I'm of the inclination that any players would have cleared off upon seeing a fire - well before the hydrant is actually needed by the fire brigade - but then there are a lot of silly people out there, I guess...

• Ellejayess-PGOEllejayess-PGO Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Surely there should be a niantic guidance clarification somewhere. I want to know too.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Many fire departments have sidewalks that cross the driveway of the emergency vehicles. Just like you won't be fined for standing beside a fire hydrant, you won't be fined for standing on the sidewalk that crosses the fire department's driveway. But we are still suppose to reject nominations in that zone even even if they are on the sidewalk, so why should a fire hydrant be any different?

I'll also point out that many players play by vehicle. The main reason why Wayspots are prohibited from interfering with fire stations isn't because pedestrians block the path of emergency vehicles, but because they will park their vehicles in a way that blocks the emergency vehicles. This is less of a problem when there is a vehicle parking beside of a fire hydrant, which you admit is illegal.

• AgentB0ss-INGAgentB0ss-ING Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

A monument at a fire station away from the driveway with Safe Pedestrian Access would be eligible as it would not interfere with the operation of the fire department.

Lets say you had a Fire Hydrant on the side of the road and on the otherside of the Hydrant is a sidewalk. People are allowed to stand on that sidewalk as they would not be blocking use to the Fire Hydrant. However if they parked in front of the Hydrant they would be blocking it, and in some situations illegally parked on a road.

You are justifying the rejection saying that people play in their cars. The game and how waypoints should be reviewed is based on Ped Foot Access not car access. Plenty of places that are perfectly fine to access by foot but not by car.

• TablogEimrats-PGOTablogEimrats-PGO Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I always reject them due to obstructing emergency services. When it comes to public safety, I always approach nominations with caution. So, painted fire hydrants get an automatic 1* from me.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Response or no response, it'll be almost useless and more dividing of the community until it gets placed in an actual guide criteria update.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

A painted fire garage door is in full service multiple times a day every day. A painted fire hydrant may never ever get used. Sorry but I strongly disagree @NianticCasey-ING

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not able to post an image directly, apparently. Here is a screenshot of my neighborhood with the fire hydrants marked.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cx4jVbyFS3UDBkAn8

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, if you post an image directly it gets relegated into the moderation process and takes several hours to get approved, upwards of a day. I just posted one with a decorated fire hydrant and alas, by the time it goes live the conversation has already ended.

• rangersbc72-PGOrangersbc72-PGO Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

In my time playing, I cant remember ever spinning a stop at a fire hydrant.

At least for walking by and spinning a stop, my opinion is the risk is low. However, if a fire hydrant becomes a locally prominent gym... Risk++

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rangersbc72-PGO I would imagine that it depends heavily on where you are. In the San Francisco bay area there are multiple streets where the city has commissioned local artists to decorate the fire hydrants. It's common to see dogs, all sorts of people, birds, R2D2, local sports teams, and abstract art. Ralston Avenue in Belmont California has tons, for example.

I love having them as portals because that makes me notice them.

• Elli21486-INGElli21486-ING Posts: 1 ✭✭

I will say that I think there needs to be more clarification on this particular subject. However, from my understanding at least, painted fire hydrants must be approved by the city/town in some way. They are also usually done for the community and therefore, could be qualified as a public art installation. A lot more consideration and thought is needed for this particular matter...

• rangersbc72-PGOrangersbc72-PGO Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Maybe some sort of compromise would be to allow artsy hydrants as stops, but prohibit them from becoming prominent in-game objects, like gyms, that increase probability of congregation. In my experience, players typically dont loiter by a given stop, but the nature of gyms promote loitering. @Hosette-ING described some fine hydrants that it would be a shame if they were totally removed.

My major risk consideration would be raids (or Ingress equivalent) occurring at fire hydrants. This is less of a issue in urban areas, where players predominantly walk, and more of an issue where POI density is lower. Further complicating this, these hydrants plausibly are predominantly located in urban areas. I've never seen one in suburbia.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need to make a clear distinction somewhere.

That is the decision not to approve objects related to police and fire that require an emergency response, and I respect that.