[Known Issue] Delays in Upgrades

NianticCasey-INGNianticCasey-ING Posts: 538 admin
edited July 2020 in Known Issues

We are currently looking into a few issues that are impacting the ability for Upgrades to be processed in a timely fashion.

1. Nominations incorrectly tagged for bad words: Some of these upgraded nominations were incorrectly tagged as containing bad words, which prompted them to be stuck in a pending state. Many of these have been manually reviewed, however if you think an upgraded nomination is still pending due to this issue please edit the nomination to resubmit it for review. You will be able to edit the text as long as the candidate isn’t in the voting stage.
  2. Incorrect abuse tags: Some Wayspots were tagged for OPR abuse, preventing them from being processed. Candidates tagged for abuse go through an extensive review of not just the candidate flagged but the overall history of the submitter, which adds time to their review.
  3. Lack of votes: While some of these Upgraded nominations made it through the voting process, some of them have been waiting for the necessary votes to push them forward. We are currently working on solutions that will automatically address this. In the meantime, we have requested manual review of some of these upgraded nominations.

Thanks for your patience while we work through this situation.

Adding on to what @NianticCasey shared last week, here's are some of the things affecting Upgrades:

• Nominations tagged for bad words: 99% of the candidates manually reviewed were correctly flagged for the use of inappropriate words or game-specific terms. Note that if your nomination includes these terms, you may expect a delay since these are flagged for review and removed from the main queue. We recommend the following: 
  1. If you have an upgrade that may be affected by this issue, please edit the nomination to fix these issues. You will be able to edit the text as long as the candidate isn’t in the voting stage. More information on nomination management can be found here: https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/help#nomination-management
  2. When nominating new candidates, avoid using URLs, emojis, or game-specific terms (will be great as a gym etc.) in the title/description/supporting text. This will help you avoid delays and save your Upgrades for eligible candidates. 
  • Wayfarer Abuse: Candidates tagged for abuse go through an extensive review of not just the candidate flagged but the overall history of the submitter. As a result, these cases may take longer to review. Action will be taken on the account based on the severity and volume of abuse detected. In cases of incorrectly flagged candidates, the reporters may receive a warning or be suspended from Wayfarer. 
  • Other Issues: Some Upgrades may be still pending review due to the number of reviewers in the country or due to insufficient number of votes from high-performing reviewers. In addition to working on helping the reviewers improve the quality of their reviews, we are also fast tracking the review of nominations in these locations. 

Post edited by NianticCasey-ING on
Tagged:

Comments

• Blacktro-INGBlacktro-ING Posts: 5 ✭✭

Hello, this is doing something to motivate pokemon trainers and ingress agents to check either with some poke coins or CMU. many send proposals but few review

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

in the meantime, i deleted the "in Limbo" Upgraded Submissions, that didnt move an Inch, and resubmitted them.

thankfully @NianticCasey-ING gave us those new submissions this week.

In General, i think it would have been better that those cases would have been handled manually.

i do understand that you want everything to be automated, but i think two clicks by you would have been the better solution. i wouldnt have to delete and resubmit my Submissions.

On top of that i lost the 5-7 Upgrades, i did manual hard labour work checking 700+ playgrounds - for nothing.

I dont want to bring this up here again, but also theres more than 10 of my upgraded submissions that were falsly rejected - it is a shame that i have to upgrade those and they get rejected by 10y-olds that didnt read the guidelines.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

The below link, and other similar threads, outline the issues and ongoing ramifications of our Upgrades that were never properly applied. I finally had closure on 3 more tonight, so I remain at having 3 nominations I UPGRADED in 2019 that are still in voting, while I don't usually get much back from Niantic other than "they need more votes."

• SoziSozi Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

sounds strange, but i would like to have a list with these bad words because some very important submissions for pokestops are still in waiting que and rly .... iam rly a bit mean cause of this! but

but well let me ask you niantic mods, are there other words or signs in titels wich makes problems? or is this the same for description?

• pokemon names into titels and descriptions?
    • signs like ! - ? / &% ?
    • some certain languages like latin?
    • years in numbers like 1900 ?

anyway, one submission is rly important for me and others and im so frustrating that this one isnt coming into voting! but i will try to chance the titel and perhaps it will work then :/ ! ....

edited March 2020

hi niantic!

now iam rly mad and I rly need fast help of you!

because of the long waiting queu and the known "bug" (over weeks and months in waiting) i tried to edit the titel and description of one of my submission which was even upgraded. after this i clicked finished and it was somehow lost ..... that cant be! there was many time i wasted in voting and dping this picture and now it shall be lost? .... pls look into my wayfarer account and fix this!

iam not lying you can read why I edited my submission because i wrote the reason into this tread before my submission disappeared in the post above this one. ......

edit: sry for postinh here but i was unabel to select one categorie in the bug forum ......

edit2: ok its back, god thanks, but still, its some strange bug!

• jaaxtmp-INGjaaxtmp-ING Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

A good solution for this (IDK if it's already implemented) would be passing all those upgrades which are in "pending" but have already 2 months like that, to "voting" so they don't stay forever pending.

• CNachtwolf-PGOCNachtwolf-PGO Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Still 6 Upgrades In Queue, the latest fix only helped two. @NIAPooja

• AgentB0ss-INGAgentB0ss-ING Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING what happened to the promised update today for the upgrade issue?

when they did called for the update?

anyway i changed the subbmission titel and text, how long does it took someone look over it so it could get into voting?

because i wanne check if it could work now with the new (but bad) text or not ....

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saturday i have friday on my mind @NianticCasey-ING

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Will there be an update today?

@NianticPooja has been working directly with the Wayfarer team to sort out all of the different layers involved in resolving this issue and she's promised an update for you by Friday.

@NianticCasey-ING it looks like an update was forgotten. It feels like traction was finally happening. We've been waiting months, so even missing a day feels like another setback.

still nothing happened today?

• Perringaiden-INGPerringaiden-ING Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

We are currently working on solutions that will automatically address this. In the meantime, we have requested manual review of some of these upgraded nominations.

There is a disconnect between the ability to nominate, and the ability to review. Without the first mandating the second, there will never be enough reviewers to go around.

Something like this, has been necessary since the beginning, but it's moreso now with a far deeper pool of nominations coming in.

• PhilClane-INGPhilClane-ING Posts: 31 ✭✭

To further analyze this issue, you could check nomination ID JBGp3eyIICM1kQDZJcJJufKUzVds5QI0JD11FyZUVWc=

It was nominated with 6 other wayspots two weeks ago. I know 2 weeks are not much, but 5 of them were accepted within 3-5 days. This one though is still in voting although upgraded and in the same low density area where no wayspots are around.

Perhaps this helps to hunt down the issue. If the behavior is correct, then it's fine!

what you tell is hpw it worked normaly for me at the beginning ... i upgraded something, it was in queue for 1-2 days or less and after 1-2 days it was a stop into game. but since some weeks ...only 2 submissions caame into voting .... still waiting for some very important subs to come into voting :/ .....

• Cini432-PGOCini432-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

I've had an upgrade stuck in voting for over 2 weeks, while 5 other upgrades have gone into, and completed, voting since then. All of my upgrades other than this one have completed voting (accepted or rejected) in less than 48 hours. I have also tried contacting support, and they've said "not enough votes." Which doesn't make since because my 5 other upgrades have gone through after. My only thought is that it is pushing the most recent upgrade to have voting priority, pushing my original upgrade behind my newer ones. Does anyone know if this is true?

• czgny-INGczgny-ING Posts: 3 ✭✭

This is the common answer for such requests, I'm getting this all the time. And yes, it seems Niantic doesn't know and use the FIFO method, that's why old nominations can get stuck.

• MortalXa-INGMortalXa-ING Posts: 27 ✭✭

I also made the observation. Especially at sessions where I made many nominations in one day. 2-3 go to voting and a decision is made quickly. The rest stuck in queue or voting for several months.

thanks for info .... but well .... to be honest thats rly not okay! problems since weeks, then niantic promise something and it didnt happend. me and other wait since weeks for the upgraded submissions who didnt come into voting. i hope we get some new infos soon and to late like in this case ~

• PhilClane-INGPhilClane-ING Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited March 2020

I just read this [1] and iirc, the "stuck" upgrade mentioned above was automatically upgraded while the others were selected manually. Perhaps automatic upgrades have this kind of issue?

[1] https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/155/is-there-a-way-to-double-secret-upgrade-upgrade-stuck-in-queue

edited March 2020

the info about the delay from end of january is well known i think. important is whats happening now or the next days and weeks!

its a certain week in wich the submissions have trouble ... sadly 2 things wich come in were not accepted.

but the good things wich shall work are still in queue with upgrade ... sadly.

but i had stuff from the weekend, from 3 upgraded things 2 came in voting 1 accepted 1 not (grgr) but thats ok for me when it didnt take to long

Post edited by Sozi on
  • Thanks for your patience, everyone. I added an update in the main post above, let us know if you have any questions/comments.

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the update @NIAPooja.

I have a few questions though.

Are these delayed Wayspot Nominations being flagged by a computer/automated system, or by other reviewers?

Also, you said that we should avoid using URLs and in the supporting statement.

But this comment on Reddit by @NianticCasey-ING states that it is okay to have URLs in the supporting statement.

Does this mean URLs and game specific terms in the supporting statement was the cause of some flags that made these Wayspot Nominations delayed? Or does this mean that URLs in the supporting statement and game specific terms just flagged as abuse by other reviewers which caused the delays? Or both?