Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Should local knowledge matter?

I might not be the first to wonder this but I couldn´t find an answer. -Sorry if it´s a double post!

Should I take into consideration local knowledge when voting?

For instance: I got to review a nomination for some street art which seems ok, but since it is in my own town I know for a fact that it´s temporary and will be exchanged for other motives over time. -Someone without that knowledge would probably have approved the nomination.

My concern is that if I give one star based on my local knowledge my rating could drop because I don´t agree with the majority of reviewers. I guess it doesn´t happen often enough to matter but it just feels wrong.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• SPD85-PGOSPD85-PGO Posts: 170 ✭✭✭✭

This sounds like a good idea, but we don’t review local nominations. I play in a major metropolitan area and have never set my home or bonus location. In my experience less than 10% are actually local in that people would be expected to have knowledge of the location. I receive substantially more from smaller, but still significant neighboring metropolitan areas. This is in addition to submissions across the United States (and territories) as well as college campuses and vacations areas which are now dominating my review queue.

I am not the only one in the area who has experienced this and friends have told me that they stopped reviewing because they aren’t getting anything local.

• FrealafGB-PGOFrealafGB-PGO Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

Same for me... I hardly ever get to review local things - most of the time the things I review are well over a hundred miles away. So I mostly have never been to those areas and maybe never will! It really wasn't what I expected when there was so much emphasis on the importance of local knowledge - that led me to expect I'd see things from my town and the surrounding towns, or maybe surrounding counties for the most part, with some things from further afield. As it is, I get things from 5 countries instead and it feels like a total novelty when I review something where I actually recognise the address!

• nineko84-PGOnineko84-PGO Posts: 47 ✭✭

A major improvement to the wayfarer system would be to let reviewers leave comments for other reviewers, treating submission almost like forum topics. Of course people can post misleading things, but their agreement% can be included in the messages.

Imagine if you see this below a submission while you're reviewing.

User A [85% agreements]: "this place doesn't seem to exist and the photospere is definitely forged".

User B [20% agreements]: "what are you saying, this is the best pokestop ever!1!"

Am I the only one who thinks that this would help the review process a lot? There are many things that can benefit from making it more interactive, especially when it comes to local relevance or things too recent for google maps.