Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

You test for becoming a reviewer is bias against anyone who didn't live in the US

I am a 50 year old prof of computer engineering and I just failed your test !!

A lot of images were hard to decide whether this is a public place or a private place, as it require someone that lived in the US to know the answer to that question.

For example, a building in the middle of a conservation. I couldn't decide if that was the office of the employees of the conservation, thus a private place or if it was the information/bathrooms area

Another example a picture of a house and there is a sign "a place for writers to read and write". Is there a syndicate for writers that owns this place or does it have public access?

It is useless for me to try again in a month :) I will not be able to guess the answer to these questions. Moreover, you don't provide any information about why the question was right or wrong. This is a test that is designed to filter candidates not to make them learn and that comes from someone who spent a few decades teaching students.

No wander there are very few spots in my country despite the fact that I know a few neighbors that are level 10 Ingress. I guess none of them passed the test and they gave up after a couple of trials

If you are building a game for the entre world, make the test for the entire world!!

Tagged:
3 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been known for a long time that there are some bad questions in the test, but most of the people that fail is due to not reading the guidelines, or trying to answer a different question.

If the question is "Does it have pedestrian access" you don't have to think about the accuracy of the location.

If the question is "Does it have historical value" they don't ask wether it's private property or not.

Each question in the test is just about one criteria.

In the real day-to-day usage of wayfarer you would get totally random nominations, you'll have to spend time trying to figure out if each one is valid or not, rate each question, and you won't get a nomination for the Eiffel tower, instead you'll get a photo of some random item that you might not find on street view and then have to judge it on your own.

Most of the candidates that you'd review are from other cities, places where you have never been. The test is far too easy in comparison.

• XK150-INGXK150-ING Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

You failed that test because you don't understand the criteria. None of the hypothetical reasons you suggested for rejecting nominations is a valid reason.

• I hope that the system is designed in such a way that it asks every reviewer about the proposed locations in her/his country.

In fact, I am starting to doubt that, and that would explain for me a few locations that don't make sense in my country. For example, there is a gym in the middle of a highway that doesn't have a pedestrian access and even if you are in a car as a passenger, you will not be able to slow down to interact with it. Everyone in my country knows that about that highway and if a child tries to access that location, he/she will be putting their life in danger.

Anyway, let's speak scientifically

Can you get the statistics of people in different countries that stop trying to pass the exam after a few failures? Remember these are people who played the game for a few years to be able to reach that level. So the only interpretation for such a thing is that they reached the same conclusion that it is useless to try again, not that they don’t have enough passion for the game.

Moreover, did you consult any educator about the test? Why don't you show the right/wrong answers after the exam? I thought that you are trying to teach the people taking the exam. Read any reference about the guideline for writing an exam to educate people vs an exam designed to filter people.

Please try to be proactive. Don't go into an attitude where everyone is arguing just to claim that the job was done perfectly and they are not to blame. 

If nobody admits there is a problem, it will never go away :)

• XK150-INGXK150-ING Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Dude, you're why nobody like engineers.

Do you realize that there are only 2 chances to pass the test?

If people fail the second time they won't ever be able to review, this is a test designed to filter people.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

You seem to completely misunderstand pedestrian access and PRP as rejection reasons. Safe pedestrian access doesn't mean that anyone should always be able to reach the PoI, only that it is possible for someone to access is safely and legally. Privately owned locations are perfectly eligible unless they're single-family residential property, which you seem to confuse all private (or in case of your examples, restricted access) locations with.

And believe me, you definitely don't have to have lived in the US to pass the test. I haven't, and I passed just fine, you only have to read and understand the rules.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that the system is designed in such a way that it asks every reviewer about the proposed locations in her/his country.

The question on the test are very general and not specific to any one country. But the correct answer is often obviouis by reading the question and answers completely. Each answer choice is given a reason and those are very important in determining the correct answer.

For example, there is a gym in the middle of a highway that doesn't have a pedestrian access and even if you are in a car as a passenger, you will not be able to slow down to interact with it. Everyone in my country knows that about that highway and if a child tries to access that location, he/she will be putting their life in danger.

What matters is where the object is physically located. If the physically object is located in the street, then it doesn't have safe pedestrian access. If physically object is next to the sidewalk or other identifiable footpath, then it has pedestrian access. The Wayspot's location may be off, but that doesn't determine whether the physically object has pedestrian access.

A lot of images were hard to decide whether this is a public place or a private place, as it require someone that lived in the US to know the answer to that question.

Being in a "public place" or a "private place" does not matter. Wayspots are allowed to be on private property so long as the property is not a single family residence or school. There is also no requirement for Wayspots to be accessible to the general public or at all time. The only other location requirement is that they must have pedestrian access and do not block the path to/of emergency services.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

people here did not make the test, because they didnt read the rules. they didnt even pass the 2nd time, because, again, they didnt read the rules.

it is, as i said before, sometimes better if a person does not make reviews. sometimes it is better that a person doesnt get a drivers license.

if you think too complicated, you wont be able to drive a car. same with wayfarer.

• AimeeR1980-PGOAimeeR1980-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭

I'm really sorry you didn't pass the first time. If I were you I would take the time to really read through the message boards and the in depth criteria that Niantic has laid out all over the Wayfarer site as well as on Reddit. Really think about what they are asking and why. Like you have said this is a weeder test. They want to be sure that those who do this can pass a basic test asking them what they think.

Not everything about approving spots is easy sometimes it takes digging and deciding if this is fair for both the game and to the community the stops go into.

But I hope that you get it figured out because I can say that I find it fun to feel like I am granting little wishes here and there! Good luck!

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlike the previous commenter, my advice would be to just read the basic rules and watch the tutorial video before taking the test. Questions are simple (or at least straightforward). Overthinking and preparing doesn't help.

• Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you had difficulty passing the reviewer exam, @AkaganiN0Shanks-PGO. I can assure you that, while Niantic have our headquarters based in the US, the test has been reviewed by multiple non-US residents and adapted based on their feedback to ensure that there was no included bias that would exclude reviewers from specific regions.

As many in the thread have said, the test is intended to assess your grasp of the review criteria and your ability to apply it in particular situations. I recommend re-reviewing the criteria and ensuring that you're answering the question as asked in the question itself in order to better perform on your next attempt.

Good luck!

• Thank you for all the replies

I raised 2 issues

1) I am claiming that the test is biased. I gave you the way to check if that claim is true "Can you get the statistics of people in different countries that stop trying to pass the exam after a few failures? "

If you don't have the resources or the time to do that query, be frank about it. Please don't tell me that it is not biased simply because it is your opinion.

2) For a student to learn from a test, the student must be provided with a feedback so that she/he can identify his/her weakness and misconceptions. This is not my opinion, it is what the science of Education tells us. If you don't believe me, consult any expert in Education or try to read a little on that subject

Also, I was surprised for the large number of negative replies. I am providing Niantic with free consultation because I want to help improve the game that I love, I am not here to try to prove that I am smarter than everyone else :)

At the end, I want to thank those who gave me hints about what I did wrong. Something I was expecting from the exam results :)

It seems that you haven't read what I've told you:

There's no "people stop trying after a few failures".

If you fail twice you're out. You don't give up. They don't allow you to take the test a third time, so your question (1) doesn't have an answer.

Keep this in mind when you take the test again, and just answer each question and don't overthink them.

With regards to (2), that has been requested already too many times.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also regarding 2 aka educational perspective. It gets worse with actual Wayfarer experience and rating system. Be forewarned. :/

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

First: there's only one chance to retry. There's no "a few failures".

Second: any science will tell you that if you have a claim, it's you who has to back it up, not the other way round. Your arguments in the original post are deeply flawed and show that you misunderstood some core concepts (PRP, pedestrian access), which leads all of us to believe that's the reason you failed the test, not your location.

Third: Yes, feedback would be very important, I agree with you there. But for a student to pass the test, they have to study and understand the material first. Also, there has been plenty of feedback here, please try to internalize it.

• To close this post, the comment of TheFarix-PGO solved the problem

"Being in a "public place" or a "private place" does not matter. Wayspots are allowed to be on private property so long as the property is not a single family residence or school. There is also no requirement for Wayspots to be accessible to the general public or at all time. The only other location requirement is that they must have pedestrian access and do not block the path to/of emergency services."

I suggest to Niantic to update the training page with the above information. For me that solved the problem.

Regarding Nadiwereb-PGO comment "any science will tell you that if you have a claim, it's you who has to back it up, not the other way round. "

This is true if I was a Niantic employee or if I was a consultant trying to sell them a service :)

If Niantic employees don't really care about improving their system, then "Il ne faut pas être plus royaliste que le roi". Google that if you don't know French :)

Finally, I still insist that the exam must provide information about why your answers were wrong. It is also easy to code, just a few static text need to be added to the response. From my point of view, there is no excuse for not doing that.

See you in a month :(

• Kirbydeb-PGOKirbydeb-PGO Posts: 37 ✭✭

I think you have a point. However, it might not be cultural per se, but might be a translation issue. An example can be seen in this threat about instructions for the supporting photo in PoGo (where the German version actually gives questionable instruction): https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/42866#Comment_42866

And I do understand why they don't share the answers to their questions. As an educator, you might know how hard it is to formulate good test questions, and you don't want answers to be going around on the internet, so they can be used to cheat. However, a way to work around this is to provide some feedback on the area of the criteria you need to improve on.