How would geologic rock formations be viewed as submissions?

I’ll make one :bulb:

1 Like

Contact them to say one is needed again….

1 Like

Or even a bench

1 Like

When I mean cooled lava, I mean lava that had erupted many years ago and has long-since cooled to the point of being no hotter than the surrounding lithosphere. Something like some of the volcanic fields in Arizona which have numerous extinct cinder cones or ancient lava flows.

Obviously if it was so recently erupted that it wasn’t completely cooled, I wouldn’t even consider it.

What if you could find fossils there though? That would make it really interesting, at least to a paleontology nerd like me. Or perhaps it even has some interesting minerals which you can find (maybe it has staurolites or garnets, etc).

With a prominent outcrop like this, I feel like you could explain the geology of the rock outcrop and then reference the scientific literature you got that information from in the description and/or the supporting info. That would make it an educational rabbit hole!

Not going to lie I was hoping you would write it for me :smiling_face_with_tear:

I can do those though, thank you.

I have experience in nominating and getting approved for several geological wayspots, all of which have descriptive boards with useful information on them, and I have placed the location information there.
If there are none, it would be a good idea for you, as a geologist, to create an interpretive board and place it in a safe and accessible location after obtaining approval from the government and other authorities.

I know that we are allowed to put Wayspots in privately owned places, like in gated apartment complexes, or behind guard desks at sensitive IT locations (say there’s art in there). So I guess it’s OK to put Wayspots on private land that has a lovely rock outcropping.

But if the wayspot text encourages people to take souvenirs like fossils or rocks, I would rather it be obvious that it’s a park and the public is welcome. A sign would show that, or a web site.

Way better if there’s an information sign, that way everyone learns about geology. Otherwise it’s just a neat natural feature… like most of nature.

So, I’d keep the restriction and make an effort to get the information sign there.

Weirdly accepted by ML.

This is a well documented Instagramed rock formation (that I forgot to take pictures for myself).

If anyone has leads to this “Cujo”, please do link it. I saw one blog but wasn’t sure to take their word on the info.

4 Likes

I am a little surprised to see that the well-known Skull Rock in California is not a wayspot.

The arguably less known but also quite official “Dog Head” in Corsica is a wayspot in its own right, very appropriately so.

3 Likes

Both even have signs!

Yep! Which obviously makes it much easier and kind of is a step away from the topic of the thread since I suppose the OP wanted to ask about less “defined” and signless formations, but I just wanted to point out that at the very least there shouldn’t be any issues with something like “a named boulder” since it’s a very localized thing.

2 Likes