Invalid Wayspot (maybe) - Dinosaur Turtle

• Wayspot Title: Dinosaur Turtle

• Location (lat/lon): 37.253329,-121.839009

• City: San Jose, CA

• Screenshot of the Rejection Email (do not include your personal information):

• Additional Information (if any):

When this wayspot was nominated years ago (probably pre-PoGo), the playground had one of those spinning picture panels, and the player configured it to be a dinosaur above a turtle, and submitted that as the portal. Not the playground as a whole, just that particular bit.

A couple of years ago, the playground was refreshed, and that particular panel is gone, so as a wayspot, it no longer makes sense.

However, I do not want to get in trouble for “repurposing” a POI, so it seems to make sense to remove this one and nominate the new playground structures.

However, does it makes more sense to: rename the spot (say, something like “Don Juan Park Playground”), get it positioned to the right spot, and add new photos, I can do that. But, I want to make sure I don’t get in trouble for it.

In the one of the photos below, you can see the nearby wayspot named “Triple Shoot Playground Basketball” in the background, as a bit of evidence that this is that park vs some other generic one. Otherwise, these are likely what I would use to nominate a replacement spot.

Thanks,
mrc

This is a bit tricky. If the panels were at the same location, maybe just a new Wayspot photo? But then you have to get enough votes for that photo, and there is no way to remove outdated or just generally bad, even criteria-breaking photos. Which is obviously a problem.

Another problem is how Niantic will just reject everything in the first round. We have literally no way of arguing why something should be rejected, we just send our in-game report and hope for the best. This is headless. I hope they add more tools for this feature soon.

Some of us actually care about maintaining the map quality, have it reflect reality and keep it up to date.

Agreed, in general.

Though, I think my invalid portal reports are successful about 50% of them time. Mostly because I’ve been submitted a bunch of Free Little Libraries that are on private property and can be verified via street view.

But some, like this park inside an HOA community, has no hope of ever being on SV, so I expected this particular rejection and the need to appeal.

Thanks for the appeal, @nexushoratio. After reviewing the additional evidence provided, we’ve decided to retire the Wayspot in question.

1 Like

However, I use the word “however” way too much.

1 Like