Is date acceptable in description?

I thought I’d read that one shouldn’t refer to the date or the year in a submission, but now I’m reviewing one with the year in the description and I can’t find that rule or suggestion in Wayfarer.

It depends if it’s relevant and future proof. I’d really have to see it to make a judgement :woman_shrugging:
If it’s the year a time capsule was buried or references a historic event or the establishment of the nomination, then it would be fine. Gratuitous dates that would be used to identify a submitter or that aren’t relevant to the nomination or won’t make sense in a few years obviously would be a quality problem that should be rejected :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

This is the description - trail marker closing a trail

This sign was placed in 23/24 as part of the Ute Valley Master Plan. All trails on the west face of Rattlesnake Ridge are permanently closed.

Reading it again now the date seems relevant. When I was reading Wayfarer earlier I had read something about dates being a no-no and well, here we are.

1 Like

Personally, I’d be more concerned with the other comments made for similar future-proofing reasons.
Why are they mentioning the closed trails in the description? That would be a supporting statement, at best, but it seems quite irrelevant to the nomination being made.
Also, If they’re only closed for a season or repairs or something, they may well be reopened, making this statement on another wayspot redundant at that time :thinking:

2 Likes

Thank you for your fast and thoughtful response. The trails were closed because they ran through sensitive bird breeding habitat and I was able to find online that the closure is permanent.

1 Like

No worries.
That makes sense, but they probably should have included that info in the nomination (was that covered in the supporting details?). Pointing out which bird habitat/s the closures are protecting would have made for interesting details in the description IMO :+1:

1 Like

Some “bad” examples might be “…installed last week,” “…the trail opened 3 years ago,” or “…new trail opened recently.”
But I don’t think I’d reject outright for Accuracy, perhaps “I don’t know” since it might be true now but not in the future.

5 Likes