Unsafe access for a newly built public swimming pool

Please provide:

• A screenshot of your nomination, including rejection reasons if it has already been rejected
  • Include the title, description, both photos, and supplemental information
  • Copy and paste the title, description and supplemental so others can translate them
  • If you feel comfortable please share the location, as it is helpful (i.e. hidden duplicates), but you can mask it if you wish.

Title: Diving Pool

Description: The diving pool at Rivermead Leisure Centre opened summer 2024, along with a competition pool and splash pad play area. There is gallery seating to watch competitions.

Supporting statement: a great place to exercise. Opened in the last couple of weeks and already proving a very popular place for swimmers, divers, families and gym-goers

Rejected by the community

It’s so nice to just throw my upgrades and appeals in the bin all the time :roll_eyes:

How can I make the UK reviewer pool understand that a diving pool with teachers and lifeguards is not unsafe? I honestly thought it was obvious

1 Like

Try using the front entrance and sign

The centre as a whole already has a waypoint. There isnt a good sign for the diving pool specifically

But I wanted to submit the pool as a particular point of interest - diving pools are unusual at leisure centres.

The centre contains 3 pools, a gym, fitness studios, spin room, and a cafe, as well as squash courts and other ball courts

I got a rejection that went into Niantic voting for generic business for cricket nets and practice pitches inside an English Heritage owned park… Yeah really English Heritage :joy:

But lets not make assumptions…

Yikes

But lets not assume Niantic reviewers are rushed or poorly trained.

If English Heritage cant cut it, my pool has no chance

This was a community decision though. So I assume the UK as a majority cant swim? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Did you use the words open to the public?

Ish… I said opened, its brand new -only just finished being built.

Title: Diving Pool

Description: The diving pool at Rivermead Leisure Centre opened summer 2024, along with a competition pool and splash pad play area. There is gallery seating to watch competitions.

Supporting statement: a great place to exercise. Opened in the last couple of weeks and already proving a very popular place for swimmers, divers, families and gym-goers

I’m impressed you got a picture with nobody in it.

I waited for 30 minutes and as soon as the people using the nets left another group arrived :woozy_face:

Stupidly I went for the generic sign instead

1 Like

Yeah, was lucky that I arrived before the next lesson started. 10 mins later it was full. I was also trying to time it to avoid too many swimmers in the main pool ending up in the supporting picture. Really didn’t want to look pervy taking pictures of swimmers

1 Like

It’s bizarre to me that anyone would think of a diving pool in a leisure centre as unsafe.

I’m not sure you how you change/convince someone that hordes of Pokémon Go players are not going to fall in the pool and drown if that mentality is already set in when they review.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know how to get it accepted now. I was so sure this would be accepted very quickly- I was shocked it was rejected for not meeting criteria too!!

Perhaps an addition needs to be made to the Criteria Clarification Collection that shows how to analyze and assess pedestrian access.

Locations do not need to be baby-proofed to qualify as accessible. Limited access or paid access does not disqualify a Point of Interest.

4 Likes

Do you play ingress? Are you in a blue\green dominated area?

1 Like

No, just Pokemon. I tried to do the Ingress induction several years ago and the flickering screen just made me cringe, I couldnt complete it, so I never played.

Weirdly Rivermead Leisure Centre didn’t show up in the chance of death and injury infographic.

3 Likes

The old one might have - inhalation of toxic substances including mould?

The new one is beautiful though and very safe :laughing:

1 Like

People used to vote like that to try and stop the other team, do try the entrance you might get it

The entrance does have a nice plaque saying it was opened by the Mayor of the town, I bet Emily would like that.

I knew it! The diving pool was unsafe due to all the sharks…

3 Likes

Agree. Safe enough to be in a public pool with steps to get in and lifeguards on duty