Any exceptions to fast food restaurants being “generic”?

No, I would not. There are so many great, locally-owned Mexican restaurants all over the US, even ones with extremely quick service, that I’d choose over Taco Bell. It’s a fast food franchise that serves Mexicans and Mexican inspired food, and is kind of the McDonald’s in that category.

Besides, the store in question isn’t even open anymore. A lot of people get Taco Bell after a night of drinking, as they’re open late, so the Cantina concept hasn’t seen a large expansion. And, many of the locally-owned restaurants also serve better drinks with their better food.

I also know of an Olive Garden that a local journalist wrote about, say about 15 years ago. She’s never mean with her reviews, and national media picked up on it and started bashing her kind review of the newly opened Olive Garden. She did have some famous chefs defend her writing, and eventually, all the bashing stopped, and she continued to write in her style, even to this day. A few years later, she even went back to the Olive Garden, and while still kind in her 2nd review, it wasn’t as glowing of a review the 1st time around.

In the end, it’s just another Olive Garden like so many others, same food and atmosphere. The 15 minutes of fame went by fast, and the locals know of the better Italian restaurants in town to eat at. It would be an extremely hard sell, even if links were provided. Chain businesses in general are just hard sells.

That is an interesting location and yes I would approve that McDonald’s over the highway. I wonder if they have a drive-thru? While I don’t enjoy McDonald’s, I am sure we would visit here just to say we did. :grin:
Reading into the history was cool. It closed for a period of time for a major renovation and reopened in April 2024. It was originally built as ‘The Glass House’ restaurant and once claimed the ‘World’s Largest McDonald’s’ title!