Fake Wayspot - Duplicate

When submitting a Wayspot Appeal, make sure to include as much of the following information as possible:

• Wayspot Title: 54 Magnolia Eastern Bark Park
  • Location (lat/lon): 30.2659/-81.551431
  • City: Jacksonville, Florida
  • Screenshot of the Rejection Email (do not include your personal information): N/A
  • Additional Information (if any):
    I came across this waypoint last night on wayfarer when reviewing nominations. I live nearby so I’m very familiar with the area. I looked at the buildings in the nomination and the supporting photos, and it was clear the photos did not match up with the location.

As a good reviewer, I dove in further. The description said the dog park was new, so I looked in places around the complex where you had two small “garage” buildings close together with apartment buildings nearby. The only location this matched up with was the existing dog park waypoint (30.266314/-81.553303). I then reviewed the existing dog park’s waypoint photos as well as photos on the apartment’s website (https://www.54magnoliajax.com/amenities.aspx - look for the bark park photos). Sure enough, whoever nominated the waypoint referenced above was likely trying to pull a fast one to get a new waypoint in the game.

I reported the nomination as a duplicate; however, the waypoint was approved by enough reviewers so that it made it into the game today. Since the community is gated, I was unable to get close enough to the stop today to report it through Pokemon Go. Also, for whatever reason, it does not show up in Ingress to report it there either. My only other choice was to report it here. First time posting here, so please let me know if anymore info is needed.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @kevin9809

Ingress syncs later in the day than Pogo fyi, and those coordinates look like it will appear eventually. I am in North Carolina so we should be on the same sync schedule. I don’t usually look for Ingress sync until the next morning after I see something go live in Pogo. Pogo sync happens pretty regular between 2:30-3pm here if the Wayspot was accepted by noon that day. Ingress sync hasn’t been at a specific time in ages.

Another option to in game reporting is to use one of the reporting forms at the top here. l find the “Reporting Abuse” form is easier to use and would suggest that one. With that form you can link the extra information that you found on the website that you can’t do with the in game Ingress report.

This category is for appealing rejected reports or asking for reinstatements, so I would advise you wait until you see it in Ingress or use the form to report first. Then come back here if the report is rejected.

Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and reported it here and will wait for the response from Niantic.

This category is for appealing rejected removal reports or asking for reinstatements of removed Wayspots. I don’t expect them to reply here since you haven’t actually submitted a report yet. But sometimes they surprise me. Thank you for caring enough to want to report.

I should have been more clear lol. I reported it via the abuse option on the website. Thanks!

2 Likes

Niantic’s response: “We took another look at the Wayspot in question and decided that it does not meet our criteria for removal at this time.”

What are my next steps to get this fake wayspot removed?

This is already in the Wayspot Appeals channel and you have already presented evidence that this is fake, and you have added a screenshot of the rejected removal report. Staff should review this again since it is posted in this category. They may not be able to do anything without location tagged photos though if your evidence wasn’t enough for the internal report, and I know you said you could not get them. I know this is frustrating.

[Edited to add the dynamic link to the portal: 54 Magnolia Eastern Bark Park]

I will try to grab photos at some point, whenever possible. The gates are occasionally left open at that complex since the leasing office is inside the gate.

That sounds like when it would be available to the public to go in. I wanted to be sure that I did not seem to be encouraging trespassing.

Thanks for the appeal, @kevin9809. After reviewing the additional evidence provided, we’ve decided to retire the Wayspot in question.

1 Like