Incorrect Wayspot Appeal Decision

I appealed a nomination, and it was rejected incorrectly.

• Wayspot Title: North Pet Area at the I-77 Rest Area

• Location (lat/lon): 35.901681,-80.856759

• City: Statesville, North Carolina

• Screenshot of the Rejection Email

• Additional Information (if any): This nomination is for a Dog Park/Pet Exercise area at a rest stop on the highway. It encourages exercise for you and your pets. It can also facilitate socialization between different owners and pets. Clearly it follows the wayfarer pillars. By nature of it’s existence, it has safe access, as the Department of Transportation is encouraging people to be here, and the surrounding area is just a parking lot.

I was given this as a response: “Thanks for the appeal, Explorer! The object in question does not meet the Wayfarer criteria as it is a regular signboard which has no significance. If this assessment is not accurate, please resubmit the nomination with additional context. We recommend you review the Wayspot Criteria before submitting your next Wayspot contribution: Wayfarer — Niantic Technical Support and Help Center

In addition, what is a “regular signboard”? Does that mean that anything “mass produced” is ineligible? This contradicts what we have been told with the inclusion of picnic areas and other such areas that are mass produced, but still encourage the tenants of wayfarer.

If I had submitted this without this signboard, it would’ve been rejected for a “natural area” or being not distinct.

Also, I have around 4 more of these rejected pet areas that I am planning on appealing. Hopefully I don’t have to come here for all of them after they have been decided. The Niantic reviewers need some education about this type of nomination.

Here is the main photo, and supporting:

Niantic reviewers: it has to have a sign

also Niantic reviewers: no not like that

5 Likes

Hello @MRTHEAWESOME
I am going to move this to nomination support as this is not the sort of appeal this area is meant for.
People may be able to give you some feedback about your nomination.

@MRTHEAWESOME Is the rest stop north of i-40 in Olin, NC? FYI I’m in Charlotte.

@MRTHEAWESOME Also, I found the POI nomination in question and there is something already in that cell. So it’s likely not to show up on the map anyway. If you were tryinf to get it on the map for Pokemon Go, but Ingress it would be just fine.

Your POI is where the x is.

@BlameJamal Hey, yeah it’s in your area, I went on a road trip during spring break from Ames Iowa to Savannah Georgia, and then back. My goal was to use all 80 of my nominations on the way. Most of them were approved, but a few got hit by bogus rejection reasons. I’m trying to appeal them since it’s outside of my resubmit range, but hit a hitch on this one with the appeal reviewers.

Thanks to your podcast, I was able to find the wayfarer discussion discord, which has been insanely useful for wayfarer education. Partially due to the podcast I leveled up in Ingress to get my second 40 nominations. Since then, I’ve been less picky about if something goes into pokemon go or not, since I have so many nominations. I just want to get rid of a red “rejected” mark on a valid nomination.

3 Likes

Well, that’s nicest thing someone has said to me in a hot minute. @Glawhantojar and I try to deliver a quality podcast week over week. I’m glad you found the WDD. @tehstone does a fantastic job over there and I tell everyone to check it out. If you want us to talk about a specific subject. Don’t hesitate to reach out.

2 Likes