New waypoints being used for max raids

So with the announcement of the new feature, its apparently going to use brand new waypoints, rather than existing pokestops. Might see a wee influx of submissions, at the very least its gonna encoueage me to start submitting things that wouldnt have appeared in pogo and ingress if it is brand new waypoints.

Mod edit: Many users are looking for ways to report these when they are not eligible. Please see post in this thread from cyndiepooh for a guide on how to do this.

8 Likes

It will be cool to see if power spots will occupy other Niantic games poi as it is reported it will not occupy existing in game pokestops or gyms !

I hope it will include a picture of the stop (instead of just dynamax Pokémon picture

2 Likes

lol I just posted something related !

2 Likes

See the recent post from PoGo Hub. PoGo released some info on Dynamax and Power Spots to some Japanese media outlets over the weekend.

No clue yet as to how they wlll be placed, if they will follow S2 cell rules, etc. However, it may help lessen the number of posts about “Where’s my stop/gym that just got approved?”

I was going to post this earlier, but since Niantic hasn’t said anything official yet, I held off. I hope we get more info tomorrow though, as that’s when the new season starts, and Dynamax and Power Spots should go live.

4 Likes

4square for all?

6 Likes

Doubt it. Here’s the main point from PoGo Hub:

• Walk 2km starting in the new season and Power Spots will appear in the game. These are different from PokĂ©Stops and gyms, meaning they will be treated as new spots without overwriting existing ones.
5 Likes

And isn’t there still some conjecture that it might be spawn points instead of Wayspots? I guess we will know soon…

2 Likes

Exactly why I didn’t post earlier when I saw the post with Hub. We don’t know the full dynamics of Power Spots yet, just that they will be separate from stops and gyms.

4 Likes

I had this glitch earlier with Mateo. Looks an awful lot like the power spot color and matches the L17 S2 cell there.

3 Likes

Very possible a Power Spot is around there, as they will be highlighted in pink.

1 Like

That’s a Zygarde cell, you were just missing the texture for it. It’s a common issue at the moment. If you tap in the middle of the square it will still pick the cell(s) up.

8 Likes

Interesting how basically the whole cell was highlighted though. But i do see some overlap onto the bordering cell at that rocket stop. So maybe the shape was coincidence.

1 Like

Yes I have been getting these for awhile
I thought they match cells but not quite.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if this does stimulate interest in wayspot creation.
Just have to wait and see.

3 Likes

Nooooo :laughing:

2 Likes

I mean, how many people still use 4Square? I don’t think Niantic will implement something similar, especially since it’s not used as much as it used to be.

Even back in it’s hay day, I never used 4Square.

2 Likes

I was a regular user of Foursquare back when it first started.

Free coffee or discounts just for showing the staff of the shop that I had checked in to their place? Easy decision.

I still use it now but haven’t created a new location in it for a while.

3 Likes

I guess I’m hoping it uses lightship waypoints, would be pretty cool!

2 Likes

Somehow, I can’t help but think these are more like spawn points and do not depend on Wayfarer/Lightship content.

The power spots look like they have nothing to with wayspots in the Lightship database but more like another third party database dump.

So far I have seen home businesses, car mechanic, petrol station and a former display home (that is now a single family private residence) as power spots.

4 Likes