Former Chapel, now a private dwelling

When submitting a Wayspot Appeal, make sure to include as much of the following information as possible:

• Wayspot Title: Thurleigh Baptist Chapel
  • Location (lat/lon): 52.214487,-0.456304
  • City: Thurleigh, Bedfordshire
  • Screenshot of the Rejection Email (do not include your personal information):

• Additional Information (if any):

This building used to be a Baptist Chapel, this is the original photo:

It appears to have been sold in 2018 - Property valuation - Thurleigh Baptist Chapel, High Street, Thurleigh, Bedford, MK44 2DS - from the latest wayspot photo you can see that the front is now a single-residence property with no communal area.

StreetView is a weird mix between 2009, 2019 and 2023 - https://maps.app.goo.gl/dW2xZJnRfm8P9gQR9 - but you can see the chapel when it was a chapel and as it is now.

I believe as this is now a cluster of single residence properties - each with their own entrance and no communal area - therefore it is no longer eligible as a wayspot.

I think if it’s a collection of apartments inside the old chapel building then it’s not an ineligible location. We have one of these locally.

If the whole chapel was now home to 1 family then it could be removed.

1 Like

I did have another one removed on the same criteria, because the dwellings have separate entrances… it’s not really different from a terraced house. In this case the wayspot is actually inside the private residence too…

Interesting point.
In these converted buildings the freehold of the building us usually remains separate so that all the different properties have to contribute to the upkeep of the building as a whole.
Interesting to compare to a terrace. But then each part of a terrace is solely responsible for their part of the whole.

1 Like

Yes for me I would see this as an apartment block so would see a waypoint about the building as a whole to be fine.

With leasehold properties (often the case for apartments), the owners of each apartment actually only tend to own the inside of their walls, not the outside. Sometimes they own the windows, sometimes they don’t, that varies. Presumably with share of freehold that differs.

But yeah, for me, externals on a block of flats is not ineligible, and if there is shared space inside or outside that’d be okay too

Actually the planning permission was for 4 apartments. The wording implies that they may not all have a separate entrance.

1 Like

Thanks for the appeal, @shritwod. After reviewing the additional evidence provided, we’ve decided to retire the Wayspot in question.

1 Like