Is it possible to update a deleted Wayspot before restoring it?

I know it sounds strange, but is it possible to edit a removed Wayspot’s photos/description?

The reason I ask is because I believe my request to restore a Wayspot that was wrongfully removed (in my opinion) was rejected because it needed to be edited first.

Basically, the Wayspot is for a building shaped and painted like a whale. Recently the whale mural on the building was painted over by new owners. Admittedly, the main focus of the Wayspot was this mural, but other interesting elements of the building such as it’s architecture and other paintings on it were included as part of the photo album and description. And I am confident these other elements are sufficiently interesting/unique enough to warrant the location be retained (under the category of Unique Art or Architecture).

But because the Wayspot was incorrectly removed instead of having its photos/description updated, it is complicated to fix the situation. It requires a two-step process of first updating the Wayspot to remove/update the outdated elements, and then restoring it. And I’m not sure if such a two-step process is possible to do within Niantic’s Wayspot restore appeal system.

Am I wrong and it is possible to do so? Or does the deleted Wayspot need to be edited first? And if so, is that possible to do?

Was the Wayspot for the mural or the building?

If it was for the building itself my experience would tell me to nominate it again. I’ve found that adding photos, changing a title, description so that they align with an update or change in the Wayspot is messy, convoluted and not worth the hassle. That’s on something that still exists…

Resubmitting is a lot quicker.

1 Like

I think what you’re wanting to do is great, but Niantic messaging has been a little unclear on when to update a Wayspot or when to delete & nominate new. To sounds like the focus is different enough that I would suggest a new nomination. One way I see it is that if I submitted a mural, I wouldn’t like somebody else changing focus to the building. But on your point, I’d love the building to also reflect the history of showing the mural!

Personally I think your best and easiest course is to try and nominate the building under unique and interesting architecture. It might be tricky, but if you’d like some guidance I’m sure many here would be happy to help!

2 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something but I can’t really see the whale influence without the mural.

The mural is gone but you could maybe get the art at the front accepted?

I know you want the gym back but I don’t think that will happen tbh. At least not as the whale mural as great as it was.

Maybe I’m missing something but I can’t really see the whale influence without the mural.

What I’m trying to say is that despite the name, the Wayspot was for the entire unique/interesting building, not just the whale mural. This is why the animal paintings were included in the photo album.

So even if the whale mural is removed, since the building is still interesting in other ways, it should be retained and just updated to remove the outdated photos/description. That’s the point I’m trying to make.

This situation would not have happened if at some point I or someone else had thought of submitting a rename request to the Wayspot to give it a more accurate name, such as “Whale-shaped building with paintings on it”. But that doesn’t quite roll off the tongue as easily as “Whale Wall”…

I’m sorry, but I have a degree in Building Construction, which included 1 year of studying the history of architecture. I see nothing interesting about the shape of that building without the mural or other paintings.

Fair enough. Clearly the building owners thought it was unique enough to go to the trouble of painting a giant whale face on it, and it is certainly different than most other buildings in the area. But I appreciate your feedback as I am no expert on the subject.

And yes, I agree that with the whale mural gone, the main interesting point about the building are the animal paintings on the front. But those alone should be sufficient enough for it to still be considered a POI as they have existed for 15+ years and been retained through several ownership changes of the building.

It’s funny, I would probably argue the exact opposite point - that people paint murals to make a boring, plain building interesting.

That is a really cool mural that helped decorate the building and, like you said, it’s much less exciting without the art. I am not familiar with your area’s architecture, but I’m not sure thy building was designed to look like a whale as opposed to just close enough that a paint job was able to capitalize on the different style building.

But also to your point about Gyms. Wayfarer and Pokémon GO work weirdly together. Once a Wayspot is removed from PoGO it won’t necessarily be restored in the same way. Even if you are able to convince Niantic staff (which you could try through the Help Chat Niantic Wayfarer, it would not be restored as a Gym any differently than if it was a new nomination, although with a different Badge associated with it.

I want to be clear about one other thing. One of the messaging Niantic has given is “… Attempts to alter or degrade a Wayspot is a form of abuse and can result in a ban.” This is not meant to threaten or even discourage you, but I want you to know that Niantic can take seriously how Wayspots are changed.

2 Likes

@Gengdi
Thank you for the insightful post.

I am not familiar with your area’s architecture, but I’m not sure thy building was designed to look like a whale as opposed to just close enough that a paint job was able to capitalize on the different style building.

I agree. I don’t think the building was specifically designed to look like a whale, but rather the building was painted like one because the owner thought the architecture resembled one.

Anyway, the architecture point was just a minor one in comparison to the animal paintings, but the thread has gotten somewhat derailed because people have latched onto that. So I’d like to move on from it if possible. As I said earlier, I think the animal paintings that have existed for 15+ years are sufficient to qualify the location as still being interesting.

But also to your point about Gyms. Wayfarer and Pokémon GO work weirdly together. Once a Wayspot is removed from PoGO it won’t necessarily be restored in the same way. Even if you are able to convince Niantic staff (which you could try through the Help Chat Niantic Wayfarer, it would not be restored as a Gym any differently than if it was a new nomination, although with a different Badge associated with it.

This is the first I’ve heard of that. Are you saying it is guaranteed to not be restored as a gym, or that there is a chance it won’t be restored?

If there’s zero chance for it to be restored as a gym, I suppose my efforts are futile.

I want to be clear about one other thing. One of the messaging Niantic has given is “… Attempts to alter or degrade a Wayspot is a form of abuse and can result in a ban.” This is not meant to threaten or even discourage you, but I want you to know that Niantic can take seriously how Wayspots are changed.

Yes, I’m trying to be cautious which is why I felt bringing it up with the community would be a good way to figure out how to proceed. Thanks!

I’m not sure it’s derailed :slight_smile: I just don’t think that gym is coming back.

It looks like you have at least 30 Wayspots in the Whale Wall cell, submit the other art and make it 31 :slight_smile: