Criteria Clarification Collection - Discussion

I assume these ones are all okay as it names a proper route that can be followed.

Unique titles too.

2 Likes

Went all in on that one :smile:

Iā€™m with you. If the nominator tells me about why the neighborhood is great for exploration in the description I usually approve them.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Iā€™m following what youā€™re saying here, but I would really like to! Can you please explain a bit more about how you came to this conclusion?

If Iā€™m not adding the grave of someone to the map out of respect for family, the area thatā€™s an issue that is much wider and more human than just arguing over criteria or Menā€™s Warehouse.

It seems odd to me to hold that sentiment for one thing in a cemetery but not apply it just to get another Wayspot 20 feet away at the grave of Lord Farqhuar-Smedley-Smodley-Smidley III upstanding British hero, opium trader

2 Likes

Oh, do you mean the clarification about the grave of Harvey Pekar? Thatā€™s just a detail that was added because itā€™s a grave of a notable person who died in the recent past. I donā€™t think youā€™d have to worry about offending the family of a member of the British aristocracy who died in the 19th century in quite the same way.

In the document, itā€™s mostly used as an example for how supporting information can be used to support a nomination in a sensitive location. Itā€™s not intended to be a checklist for eligibility.

1 Like

No, the opposite.

Iā€™m not worried about offending the family of old Empire opium traders most of them are still up to no good anyway :slight_smile:

The grave of x famous person is rarely on its own in a graveyard itā€™s usually surrounded by other less famous people. The difference for me is not in the addition of the individual grave but in the addition of a Wayspot in that specific area, a cemetery, where there will be other mourners.

Iā€™m either going to respect that or not. I donā€™t see it as a grey area like trail markers etc but more like schools and emergency services. Having criteria that says maybe itā€™s ok or maybe not, use your judgement doesnā€™t really work.

Iā€™d prefer them to be more direct and say yes or no and as itā€™s dealing with an issue bigger than maps, portals and PokĆ©mon it seems like an easy choice to me at least.

2 Likes

I see now. Thanks for clarifying! I think it depends on locality. In my area, we have a cemetery thatā€™s full of historic graves (and the graves of less famous people as well), but they are also not using that part of the cemetery for active burials anymore. I guess itā€™s things like that that make me say ā€œuse your judgement,ā€ but I can appreciate your perspective.

1 Like

Iā€™m not against adding things in cemeteries. I find the non ā€˜famousā€™ graves just as interesting and like you say some of them are areas for walking through, visiting*

*If you are ever here and hear the tour guides saying The Covenanter prison is where Dementors are from please push them down a big hill.

https://www.edinburghexpert.com/blog/edinburghs-graveyards-greyfriars-kirkyard

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Either in a separate section or in the Generic/Non-Generic business section could we get a clarification posted about businesses that promote exercise? (One guess what kind of nomination of mine was just rejected as a Generic Business.)

There was a post on the old forum which I canā€™t link now which read:

ā€œFor the last line ā€œShould a Dance Studio or Gym be judged like a Restaurant? Or should it be judged like a Baseball field or trail marker? Which is the more apt way to look at business that people exercise on site?ā€ - Gyms/Dance studios/etc. business promoting exercises need to be reviewed as a place of exercise which is an eligible spot.ā€

That statement was made in 2021, and people still reject fitness businesses.

4 Likes

Yes I would like clarification. I have rejected fitness businesses, well only the chain locations. But I have come across a lot of them. Who knows if I am doing that correctly or not. Dance studios etc I look to see if they are adult only locations or only geared towards kids. Although, I have come across many youth centre locations while reviewing nominations.

1 Like

Now that you mention it, yes, thatā€™s another one to add to my fairly short list of things I was surprised not to see mentioned.

The others I was surprised or disappointed not to see covered (because people find them confusing for various reasons) were these:

Overall, though, love your work @NianticTintino and Iā€™m grateful to all the ambassadors who helped inform and attain clearer wording for the existing clarifications (Iā€™m quite sure I can see some ambassador influences in some of the wording) :ok_hand:t2:
I was pleasantly surprised to find this sorely needed section when I dropped by the forum looking for something else today :star_struck::ok_hand:t2:

7 Likes

:eyes:
Ok, just noticed that thereā€™s no Neighborhood/Subdivision/Apartment Complex Signs sectionā€¦May want to add that in the futureā€¦

4 Likes

There are a lot of criteria missing in the document but they were not expected to be in that one. I expect we will be able to work in more criteria clarifications in the future!

3 Likes

PLEASE address HOW to reject the things which should be rejected as well. We do not have an option to select ā€œDoes not meet criteriaā€ as a rejection reason.

Unless it is clearly a ā€œGeneric businessā€ a lot of these are difficult to find an appropriate rejection reason for.

10 Likes

Defitely agree that this is needed, even better would be proper reasons that can fed back to the submitter as have been requested for ages.

1 Like

The questions around issues of voting and feedback reasons that are useful has been raised.
It was not part of the remit of this document which was focussed on criteria.

3 Likes

Thank you for this response. It does no good to say we shouldnā€™t accept something if we canā€™t reject it. I do believe that the correct rejection reason belongs with the description of the criteria.

3 Likes

All of these throughout this thread are being logged for now.

You did include one example which no longer applies.
The swimming pool section shows that community type pools can be eligible as social spaces.
The general criteria states clearly that a gated/restricted community can have eligible objects/places within it.
So pools can be eligible in gated communities.

As with all nominations a case should be presented.

1 Like