Neighborhood Signs

I’m curious, my understanding is that neighborhood signs are not (generally) appropriate for wayspots. What are people’s thoughts on this? I’m kind of two minds:

• Often neighborhood signs can be generic and not that interesting
  • A lot of them are easily noticeable and are points of interest as you enter a neighborhood AND often are the only option for a wayspot for people in more suburban or rural communities.

I see a decent number that have been made into pokestops, even recently, but obviously lots get denied. So what are people’s thoughts on whether they should be allowed?

1 Like

I do not think 99% of them should be accepted, but I do not know how to reject them. The ones that are in a home’s yard can be “Private Property” but I can’t in good faith call them not “Distinct.” Maybe “Generic Business” since it is basically a billboard for the real estate?

4 Likes

I moved this to Review Support because that’s where we are trying to have conversations about general eligibility of things.

My personal feeling is that they are not eligible unless they have some kind of interesting feature - waterfall, sculpture, fancy artwork, etc.

This is technically a neighborhood sign, but I submitted the artwork instead of just the sign. There are 2 metal sculptures of bugs on this sign - they are almost person sized. Really nice.

5 Likes

this is a sculpture on a neighborhood sign and i would readily accept this. would not even have considered it a neighborhood sign submission

5 Likes

I struggle with this too. I usually put generic business, because that’s the closest to why I think they are rejected. I kind of wish it was “Generic Location” instead of “Business” or there was another category added that reflected that.

2 Likes

Completely agree, and obviously your example is a clear example of something that should qualify. Honestly I think any sign that’s more interesting than just the neighborhood name on a sign might qualify. For example, there’s a neighborhood near me that has a cool logo on it.

I focused more on the art aspect than the sign aspect, but I could also understand if someone denied the submission because of it being a neighborhood sign. Probably not as clear of an example as yours, but certainly more interesting than just a sign with the name of the neighborhood on it.

1 Like

Yep. I love when people have reasonable opinions on what they’ve nominated. There are times when I think something is eligible but I can’t really argue with someone who doesn’t think it meets criteria. Neither of us is right or wrong.

Uh oh. I am new to Wayfarer. This neighborhood sign was my first Pokestop nomination. I agree the sign is not spectacular, but the history of the neighborhood was interesting when I researched it. Looks like I should be preparing myself for a rejection :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

I would usually reject them for Permanent and Distinct (the distinct part) because there just generic signs. Here in England in some places we have these signs that show the history of a place and what its known for and these are usually the only welcome signs for a village/town/city i would accept.

3 Likes

I have reviewed several thousand nominations and learned quite alot in Wayfarer. Some people accept almost anything. However, neighborhood, city, county/parish, etc signs have to meet certain criteria to be eligible. If the sign appears on residential property, that causes a rejection. The same is true if the sign is next to a do not nominate location. If the sign can be visited, the sign must be at least 50 (maybe 40) meters from the nearest residential zoned property even if the property is just there undeveloped. Those types of signs are typically difficult to get accepted for that reason.

1 Like

Agree with everything else you’ve said, but Niantic have made it clear that that rejection criteria is not met unless on the property or forming part of it (i.e: the fence, wall, etc).
The 40m recommendation was only to be more vigilant to ensure that nominations within 40m of PRP are definitely not on the property. This has been covered repeatedly, particularly in regard to little free libraries.
Please don’t continue to spread the misconception that anything within 40m of ineligible locations needs to be rejected, because that’s simply not accurate :grimacing:

9 Likes

From the comments here, I think some of us are talking about different things. When I say “neighborhood signs” I mean those structures builders put up to identify the homes for sale there. I like signs that identify a town, or an historic district, or something like that.

3 Likes

I don’t know with neighborhood entrances. It’s fancy literally for the residents but there’s no history behind it unless it’s been an established neighborhood over the decades. I’m always confused to see them.

Generally speaking Subdivision/Apartment Signs were not good wayspots because Niantic said so. Florida, USA always ignored that and accepted them.

Welcome to City/County signs also were not good wayspots because Niantic said so. I will admit in SE Michigan where I live, they tend to be accepted.

Now, personally, I’ve always wondered why not. The moneymaker for Niantic is Pokemon Go. And Pokemon Go has always been about exploring a new land and catching them all. For a kid, Welcome to Sunnyside Estates is an adventure to a new land to explore and catch them all. Even as adult, a new city sign like Welcome to Uberville is a chance to explore and catch pokemon that say on them caught in Uberville.

Maybe, now isn’t the time to look for how to reject these, unless Niantic doubles down and says “Reject these” but rather a time to consider joining Florida and think about them as a “Explore Worthy”

5 Likes

I respect the opinions reflected here, but do wonder if the fact that there is no appropriate rejection category suggests that they shouldn’t be rejected? I’ve been on the receiving end of a “generic business” rejection for a neighborhood sign (hand carved from wood and painted with decorative elements). I could understand this for new developments where the sign is advertising homes for sale. However, in established communities, there is no business and nothing for sale. The sign represents a community where people live, work, play, exercise, and socialize. Regardless of one’s personal opinions, it seems offensive to call a community of human beings “generic.” If there are people who agree with this perspective, I would be interested in learn what is effective in justifying such nominations.

2 Likes

Here’s my opinion, and it’s opinion only of course: Neghborhood/Development signs are an aid in exploration, sure, but only as much as any street sign or traffic instruction. They’re a place people can meet, sure, but only as much as a random intersection. Most neighborhood/development signs are advertising or embellishment by the devlopment company, meant to distinguish their build area and “class it up” a bit with a stately-sounding name, like the place near me that cleared a lot of trees and natural grasses to put up a sign for “Hawks Landing” despite the fact that no hawks are landing there any more. :frowning:

SOME neighborhood / development signs, though, have artistic or unique elements that may make them acceptable candidates. Handmade, custom art, not simple corporate theming - or built-in benches, unique gardens, stuff like that which is uncommon. With a good title, description, and supporting info (not just “neighborhood signs are eligible”) I’d certainly vote to accept. If the unique elements of that candidate in particular are called out in the title or description, it can help dispel the myth that neighborhood signs should be accepted simply because they’re neighborhood signs.

8 Likes

I use “generic business” when it is just a billboard to identify real estate. That is not calling the people who live there “generic”.

lol i wrote this before i read the previous post which says it better: Neighborhood Signs - #16 by Shilfiell

2 Likes

But is it really an aid to navigation when:

• an entrance usually requires this signage for the county’s land development regulations (or zoning)
  • the subdivision is to cookie cutter townhomes or an infill single family subdivision of a couple homes
  • the signage just marks the boundary of the subdivision where multiples of the same type of signage is used? It’s common in Florida to see subdivisions of the same name in different cities because it’s essentially an established brand

Note I’m stating some of my opinion in this, my voting preference has been skipping them. I’m just used to the market around this because I review these applications and permits.

Almost anything can be an aid to navigation:
“Turn right at the Asphalt Oasis neighborhood sign.”
“Go straight after Elm Street.”
“Turn left after the Canadian Tire store.”
“Turn into the driveway after the pink house with the purple roof.”

Being an aid to navigation or even exploration doesn’t necessarily mean that something’s eligible as a Wayspot. All candidates should be judged on their individual merits as pictured and described, and not just as a member of a potentially eligible category.

2 Likes

Ok then I ask the same questions with Wayspot nominations criteria for these entrances. I don’t see the benefit of highlighting an entrance when the actual items in the community have been more important.

This is like trying to highlight a retail plaza - the signage is literally meant to grab your attention and list its services. The building is what matters more and what actually is in it.

1 Like