Public footpath signs

Hello, I’ve recently had two nominations go through, both for public footpath signs in the local wick. What I’m confused about is I’ve also had another two be rejected, they are the exact same kind of sign in the same area. Does anyone know why that could be?

Are you able to share screenshots of the rejected ones including the reason they were rejected? We would be able to advise better on specifics instead of generally.

No problem, I just don’t understand why the two were rejected but the other two went through fine.

What I can tell you about these is that the two that were rejected for “Wayfarer criteria” were most likely rejected by the ML (machine learning ai) model. The email will say “our team” instead of the “community” and the decision most likely came around 20-24 hours after the nomination was made - unless upload later was used.

I think that ML decisions are heavily based on the photo, but I don’t see much difference in the accepted photos from the rejected ones. You may want to try framing your photo more like this example from Trails & Markers

I would also recommend submitting with different text. Nominations should have unique titles. And saying “one of many” in the description doesn’t really make this sound special. But I will let some of our UK folks give you more specific advice on how they nominate these.

That’s brilliant, I’ll give it a go. Thank you.

Welcome @matthewc1141
I am in U.K.
do read the trail and markers information carefully.

You got lucky with some of these markers so here are some tips to improve chances.

The title should be distinct. Calling each one “public footpath sign” is not helpful as you can’t distinguish where you are on the path. Look closely at maps for where it is, where does the path go between.
Stoneybridge to Midwich Footpath Marker
Jolly’s Lane Footpath Marker.
Footpath Marker Tiny Brook
You get the idea.
The description needs to say something about the path. It is the path that is interesting not the marker.
An off road walk from Jolly’s Lane through the woods to the pretty Tiny Brook crossed by an old stone slab bridge. Then up the hill across fields to the church at Trumpton.
They are often hard to prove where they are so try to get clues into the supplementary photo a fence line, or field junction. Say if you can see the line of the path on satelitte.
And for the photo a nice crisp closeup of the marker so it fills up the photo. I take a microfibre cloth which I can wet and use to give it a clean before taking a photo.
I have had good success by making it clear that the path / trail is the unseen focus and the markers are at specific points crossings or change of direction.

Happy to help more
Good Luck

2 Likes