Invalid Wayspot - The Getty Center (Episode 3)

• Wayspot Title: The Getty Center
  • Location (lat/lon): Ingress Intel Map / 34.077602,-118.474371
  • City: Los Angeles, CA
  • Screenshot of the Rejection Email (do not include your personal information):

• Additional Information (if any)

I quick recap of previous episodes:

In Episode 1 I reported this wayspot as invalid because its POI was a poster for an event that ran from September 2017 to January 2018 (and also because the wayspot was not where the poster used to be). The appeal failed. Maybe someone thought that if event is over, it doesn’t mean the poster is gone, too. “Oh well,” thought I, “let me rename this wayspot to what it should have been named based on the photo, put a description that corresponds to the photo, and try to remove it or at least move it to where its long-gone POI used to be”. Niantic reviewed my edits and said “Seems OK, approved”. Why do I think it was Niantic? The edits in Nomination page had Niantic’s logo on them, and the email I got said this - “Congratulations, our team has decided to accept your Wayspot edit”

In Episode 2 I explained everything I did since Episode 1, provided more details and asked for the wayspot to be removed or at least moved. After telling me that what I did - renamed the wayspot and tried to remove it - was really bad, Niantic removed the event photo and put a different photo, renamed the wayspot back to The Getty, but left my description:

So now for Episode 3…

If you look at satellite views from different angles…:

• Facing North:

• Facing West:

• Facing South:

• Facing East:

…you will see that the only building that matches the building on the photo is NOT the one where the wayspot currently is:

…but rather it’s this one…:

This building is the Research Institute of the Getty Center:

You can check the Getty Center map here.

The Research Institute already is a wayspot:

It’s the same building - the photo was taken from a different spot.

(Note: This Research Center wayspot used to be called “Paul Getty Center, set 2009”, but based on its only photo - the photo of the research institute - I renamed it. It should have been Institute, but when I asked one of the employees about what this building was, I was told it’s research center, not research institute, so I renamed it to research center. My bad, didn’t think I should have double-checked the employee. Gonna fix it at some point. But back to the wayspot in question…)

All this shows that with Niantic’s new photo this wayspot is now a duplicate of another wayspot.

I don’t know the history of this wayspot, but there are plenty of other great wayspots at the Getty. Please don’t hold on to this wayspot, just remove it.

Also, “The Getty Center” refers to the whole campus, not just one building. You can read more here - Getty Center - Wikipedia. That article has a satellite photo with explanation:

Thanks for the appeal, @Itsutsume. We took another look at the Wayspot in question and decided that it does not meet our criteria for removal at this time.

In such case I am gonna rename it to Research institute and move it to where Research Institute is :slightly_smiling_face: